All Apps and Add-ons

Two questions about Network Toolkit

pir8radio
Path Finder

@LukeMurphey Two questions for you buddy...

1. The speed test function, what service does it use? I mean, is there a list of servers I can pick from somewhere?
  2. On the Ping summary/status screen, it would be nice to be able to display the alias name we give the ping rather than the destination ip in the first column. for example, BGP Router instead of 4.0.1.1
  3. Oh this is three questions... sorry... On the speedtest function do you support multithread speed tests? if no can you? DSL REPORTS does this, its the only service that can speed test my server connection that is greater than 1gbps, the server has multiple bonded 1gbps internet connections, dsl reports spreads the test out over all of them.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

LukeMurphey
Champion

Answers below:

The speed test function, what service does it use? I mean, is there a list of servers I can pick from somewhere?
The app uses Ookla right now. Specifically, I'm using the library pyspeedtest (https://pypi.org/project/pyspeedtest/).

On the Ping summary/status screen, it would be nice to be able to display the alias name we give the ping rather than the destination ip in the first column. for example, BGP Router instead of 4.0.1.1
The could be added.

Oh this is three questions... sorry... On the speedtest function do you support multithread speed tests? if no can you? DSL REPORTS does this, its the only service that can speed test my server connection that is greater than 1gbps, the server has multiple bonded 1gbps internet connections, dsl reports spreads the test out over all of them.
I'm not sure. It would be easy for me to startup multiple threads and each run a test but I don't know if that would consistently provide the same results.

Also I don't see a way to schedule the trace routes like you can do the speed tests.. Is that something that can be easily added? I like to know when my BGP routes change..
I don't have it supported at the current time, per se.

However, you could do it right now using the traceroute search command. You would just need to make a saved search that runs the search on whatever frequency you want.

View solution in original post

LukeMurphey
Champion

Answers below:

The speed test function, what service does it use? I mean, is there a list of servers I can pick from somewhere?
The app uses Ookla right now. Specifically, I'm using the library pyspeedtest (https://pypi.org/project/pyspeedtest/).

On the Ping summary/status screen, it would be nice to be able to display the alias name we give the ping rather than the destination ip in the first column. for example, BGP Router instead of 4.0.1.1
The could be added.

Oh this is three questions... sorry... On the speedtest function do you support multithread speed tests? if no can you? DSL REPORTS does this, its the only service that can speed test my server connection that is greater than 1gbps, the server has multiple bonded 1gbps internet connections, dsl reports spreads the test out over all of them.
I'm not sure. It would be easy for me to startup multiple threads and each run a test but I don't know if that would consistently provide the same results.

Also I don't see a way to schedule the trace routes like you can do the speed tests.. Is that something that can be easily added? I like to know when my BGP routes change..
I don't have it supported at the current time, per se.

However, you could do it right now using the traceroute search command. You would just need to make a saved search that runs the search on whatever frequency you want.

pir8radio
Path Finder

I added a name colum and put my names in for now, Yea i dont think just running multiple speed tests will do it, dls reports runs up to 32 at the same time. Thanks for the schedule info, im pretty new to spunk.

0 Karma

pir8radio
Path Finder

@LukeMurphey can you give me an example of scheduling the tracert? I cant see how to do it where it will show the results on the main traceroute dashboard (results) page.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Yeah, it is easy. Here is an example (against lukemurphey.net):

| traceroute lukemurphey.net 

You can then saved the search and schedule it per https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Search/Schedulingsearches

You would need a second search to evaluate the results and alert to changes.

0 Karma

pir8radio
Path Finder

lol.... oh wow.... Well now i feel a little dumb..... thanks for the info!

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

haha, don't feel dumb; it isn't necessarily obvious.

0 Karma

pir8radio
Path Finder

Looks like you use ookla speed tests, and I dont think they support multi-threaded speed testing. So that answers questions 1 and 3. But if you could support the dslreports api as your speed test provider that would be cool, and a fix for #2 would be great too! 🙂

0 Karma

pir8radio
Path Finder

Also, I just noticed you cant schedule re-occurring trace routes... You have to manually do it each time... I like to watch my bgp route and that would show me when there was a route change.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...