All Apps and Add-ons

The maximum number of concurrent auto-summarization searches on this cluster has been reached

lycollicott
Motivator

I have 35 report acceleration summaries from Cisco Security Suite.

Every 10 minutes 800-1200 of those same auto summarize searches try to run, but they get skipped.

01-30-2018 11:32:45.536 -0500 INFO SavedSplunker - savedsearch_id="nobody;Splunk_CiscoSecuritySuite;_ACCELERATE_FC554714-9307-4F2E-B815-B364569D785E_Splunk_CiscoSecuritySuite_nobody_470b01eef1db82fd_ACCELERATE_", search_type="report_acceleration", user="nobody", app="Splunk_CiscoSecuritySuite", savedsearch_name="_ACCELERATE_FC554714-9307-4F2E-B815-B364569D785E_Splunk_CiscoSecuritySuite_nobody_470b01eef1db82fd_ACCELERATE_", priority=default, status=skipped, reason="The maximum number of concurrent auto-summarization searches on this cluster has been reached", concurrency_category="summarization_scheduled", concurrency_context="saved-search_cluster-wide", concurrency_limit=30, scheduled_time=1517329800, window_time=0

I have these settings:

base_max_searches=6
max_searches_per_cpu=1     #Windows environment...please don't judge...I wanted Linux
num_cpus=96    #6 node SHC with 16 cpu/node
auto_summary_perc=50

So, I think my SHC should be able to run 51 accelerations concurrently.

(base_max_searches + (max_searches_per_cpu * num_cpus)) * auto_summary_perc)
(6 + (1 * 96)) * .50 = 51 

Unfortunately Splunk tries to run hundreds of them at once, so:

1. Why does it try to run so many accelerations?
  2. Is it constantly retrying accelerations?
  3. Should I increase base_search_max_pipeline from 1?
  4. Should I pour gasoline on Cisco Security Suite, light a match and let nature take its course?
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

@davpx has a point - you are trying to run way more searches than your Splunk environment can probably handle. But you don't have to throw out the app! Just turn off report acceleration. (And do fix the num_cpus as @davpx suggested.)

Go to Settings >> Reports... and look for any searches that have a lightning bolt icon (because they are accelerated). Edit the search settings so the searches are no longer accelerated.

And you might want to look to see if you have accelerated searches in other apps as well...

Turning off acceleration doesn't break anything, it just stops all this background processing that speeds up the searches. In your environment, the background processing was a bad trade-off. Letting the searches run a little slower should be much better. (And you could leave acceleration on for any searches that you use very frequently.)

Finally, if you have data model acceleration, you can turn that off as well. But if you are using the Splunk Enterprise Security app (ES), you need to be very careful about turning off any data model acceleration.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

stoomart
Explorer

The data model acceleration setting "Maximum Concurrent Summarization Searches" defaults to 3, which means they won't run well on a 16 core system. It should help to bump these down to 1 across the board, then increase it for searches that need more horsepower.

The Data Model Audit dashboard (/app/search/datamodel_audit) is handy for tuning the acceleration jobs.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

@davpx has a point - you are trying to run way more searches than your Splunk environment can probably handle. But you don't have to throw out the app! Just turn off report acceleration. (And do fix the num_cpus as @davpx suggested.)

Go to Settings >> Reports... and look for any searches that have a lightning bolt icon (because they are accelerated). Edit the search settings so the searches are no longer accelerated.

And you might want to look to see if you have accelerated searches in other apps as well...

Turning off acceleration doesn't break anything, it just stops all this background processing that speeds up the searches. In your environment, the background processing was a bad trade-off. Letting the searches run a little slower should be much better. (And you could leave acceleration on for any searches that you use very frequently.)

Finally, if you have data model acceleration, you can turn that off as well. But if you are using the Splunk Enterprise Security app (ES), you need to be very careful about turning off any data model acceleration.

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

I was considering that and I only have a few accelerations outside of Cisco Security Suite.

0 Karma

davpx
Communicator

I like option 4. Your num_cpus is way too high for a 16 core system. That setting is per-machine, not per-cluster. You're simply running too many searches than your cluster can handle at once.

lycollicott
Motivator

I do realize that, but I was just trying to simplify the overall illustration.
Machine-by-machine is like below

(6 + (1 * 16)) * .50 = 11

Cisco Security Suite is kind of CPU greedy

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...