All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk on CentOS 8

jg91
Path Finder

Hello, Splunkers
We want to deploy Splunk in our organization and I have a question about the operating system to use for Splunk instances. Did you use CentOS 8 for Splunk in a production environment? Is there any dependency or consideration (like Python3 or etc.)?

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

I'm running Splunk 8.0.3 on RHEL 8.2 without any issues, nor did I have to make any special changes, updates, etc.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!

wyfwa4
Communicator

Are you looking for a recommendation for which OS to host Splunk on? i.e. indexers / deployment servers? Or is there a specific issue with CentOS you are concerned with?

0 Karma

jg91
Path Finder

Hello, in recent years we always used CentOS 7 as OS for Splunk deployment, my question is about CentOS 8, is it a good choice for Splunk in a large deployment? My question is based on new features and changes made in CentOS 8 over CentOS 7.
As the second question in general, what is your recommended OS?

0 Karma

wyfwa4
Communicator

ok, understood.

I have also used CentOs7 for a lot of Splunk work without any issues, but not tested on CentOS8 yet. We do not deploy in production on CentOS, but use RHEL instead - but this is more around support and minimal environment from a security perspective.

In terms of OS, we have a mix of Windows and Linux servers we run Splunk on. In some situations we find Windows easier to manage, but other cases we use Linux. It also depends on the functions we are trying to perform on each.

0 Karma

mjm295
Path Finder

Smiilar here - looking at an upgrade from Red Hat 7 and Splunk 7 - to Red Hat 8 and Splunk 8, only just started looking at it though.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...