All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk for Cisco Identity Services (ISE): When using pxGrid, how can I resolve error "Cannot recover key"?

mjoc27x
Engager

Hi,

I'm trying to connect Splunk to Cisco ISE using pxGrid. I have followed the instructions in the doc "How To 102: Splunk & pxGrid Adaptive Network Control (ANC) Mitigation Workflow Actions" but I get an error stating "Cannot recover key". Now, I know that the passwords for the JKS files are correct because I get a different error if I use a deliberately wrong password and 'keytool' can list the details of the keys and certs within the JKS files when used with the correct password.

So the question is: which key is it trying to recover at this point? What debugging can I turn on?

root@splunk:/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_cisco-ise/bin/lib# java -jar pxGrid_Search.jar pxgrid.myorg.net splunk ../certs/splunk-01.jks PaSsWoRd ../certs/ca.jks PaSsWoRd 1.1.1.1 quarantine_ip
        java.security.UnrecoverableKeyException: Cannot recover key
                at sun.security.provider.KeyProtector.recover(KeyProtector.java:328)
                at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore.engineGetKey(JavaKeyStore.java:146)
                at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore$JKS.engineGetKey(JavaKeyStore.java:56)
                at sun.security.provider.KeyStoreDelegator.engineGetKey(KeyStoreDelegator.java:96)
                at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore$DualFormatJKS.engineGetKey(JavaKeyStore.java:70)
                at java.security.KeyStore.getKey(KeyStore.java:1023)
                at sun.security.ssl.SunX509KeyManagerImpl.<init>(SunX509KeyManagerImpl.java:133)
                at sun.security.ssl.KeyManagerFactoryImpl$SunX509.engineInit(KeyManagerFactoryImpl.java:70)
                at javax.net.ssl.KeyManagerFactory.init(KeyManagerFactory.java:256)
                at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPConnection.java:784)
                at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.parsePackets(PacketReader.java:267)
                at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.access$000(PacketReader.java:43)
                at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader$1.run(PacketReader.java:70)

Thanks for any assistance,
Mike.

0 Karma
1 Solution

mjoc27x
Engager

The password for the private key within the keystore was different to the password for the keystore itself (see http://karim-ouda.blogspot.com/2010/07/errors-solutions-5.html).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mjoc27x
Engager

The password for the private key within the keystore was different to the password for the keystore itself (see http://karim-ouda.blogspot.com/2010/07/errors-solutions-5.html).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...