All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Modular Input is not showing Data Input Parameter of type Checkbox properly while adding a new input

umairahmad3985
Path Finder

Dear All,

I have created a new modular input using Splunk's Add-on builder (v3.0.1). The modular input is based on a Python script which polls our REST API to ingest data into Splunk. The Modular inputs takes three Data Input Parameters, a simple textbox, a password and a checkbox. I have observed that the checkbox parameter is not rendering properly when I configure the modular input from Splunk Settings -> Data Inputs. It shows the Checbox as a simple text field with default value of False (see image below):

alt text

But when I configure the modular input from within the add-on, it properly shows the checkbox field as below:

alt text

This is kind of a weird behavior. Is that the way Splunk is supposed to show the configuration in both cases or it is a bug? Please point me towards anything which can solve this.

Let me know if you need any more information to debug this.

Regards,
Umair

yoho
Contributor

It won't help (sorry for that) but I've seen 2 modules built with the addon builder requiring also boolean values (AVI addon, for instance). They both have a text field where you need to enter the value "True" or "False", so you're not the only one.

Personaly, I have not used the addon builder for my modular input (difficult to get a personal standalone splunk instance at work); the learning curve is a little bit harder but at least, you can use checkboxes...

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @umairahmad3985

can you show your manager xml file?

also check https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/AdvancedDev/ModInputsCustomizeUI

0 Karma

umairahmad3985
Path Finder

Hi @PavelP,

I don't have the manager.xml file because I am using the Add-on builder. Guess it doesn't use that file for creating configurations pages. All it created was four Python files.

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @umairahmad3985

Add-on Builder is supported by splunk, so I've added a "Splunk Add-on Builder" tag to your question to get splunk's attention.

I hope somebody will check this post and help. Without seeing your files it is difficult to say why you get this issue

0 Karma

umairahmad3985
Path Finder

I can share my source code as well. Please advise the proper way to do so?

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @umairahmad3985

I think the proper way to build a modular input add-on manually without using the builder app, this requires more work

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...