All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Mobile Access Server: Why am I getting error "Failed to get the list of applications" in Splunk Mobile App?

Tarek1977
Path Finder

Hello all,

I've installed the Mobile Access Server in our DMZ, Login works fine from the iOS Device, but then the app tries to load data and ends up with an error message: Failed to get the list of applications.

Using the admin Login on the MAS, I've checked some APPS to display on the mobile device. My User has the admin role, so that I'm sure, I have all rights to view the dashboards within the iOS APP. I'm using the MAS Version 1.0.1 and the updated IOS app on the iPhone. Any idea why I always get the error? Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Tarek1977
Path Finder

Hi sni,

thank you for your answer. I just give you some update. The direct access via the mobile app to the mobile access server (iOS device logged in the corporate network) works fine now.

But, using the API Manger Gateway between as a router to the mobile access server, we get following log entries in the access_log.log: (try to get the App list)

2014-09-17T18:57:25.092+02:00 "GET https://xxx.e-ssi.net:8050/m/api/proxy/d/services/apps/local?count=0&output_mode=json HTTP/1.1" 401 - "-" "Synapse-PT-HttpComponents-NIO" ::ffff:10.255.14.19 time=25.502 ms

2014-09-17T18:57:25.524+02:00 "GET https://xxx:8050/m/api/proxy/d/services/apps/local?count=0&output_mode=json HTTP/1.1" 401 - "-" "Synapse-PT-HttpComponents-NIO" ::ffff:10.255.14.18 time=24.944 ms

And in relation (we think) in the server.log:

2014-09-17T17:22:17.910+02:00 - info: category=splunk_session_key_is_missing, worker=1

So we think, there is something wrong with the transfer of the sessionkey/ID using the API manger Gateway. We're analzing this, but If you knowing issues regarding session key/id handling, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

View solution in original post

Tarek1977
Path Finder

Hi sni,

thank you for your answer. I just give you some update. The direct access via the mobile app to the mobile access server (iOS device logged in the corporate network) works fine now.

But, using the API Manger Gateway between as a router to the mobile access server, we get following log entries in the access_log.log: (try to get the App list)

2014-09-17T18:57:25.092+02:00 "GET https://xxx.e-ssi.net:8050/m/api/proxy/d/services/apps/local?count=0&output_mode=json HTTP/1.1" 401 - "-" "Synapse-PT-HttpComponents-NIO" ::ffff:10.255.14.19 time=25.502 ms

2014-09-17T18:57:25.524+02:00 "GET https://xxx:8050/m/api/proxy/d/services/apps/local?count=0&output_mode=json HTTP/1.1" 401 - "-" "Synapse-PT-HttpComponents-NIO" ::ffff:10.255.14.18 time=24.944 ms

And in relation (we think) in the server.log:

2014-09-17T17:22:17.910+02:00 - info: category=splunk_session_key_is_missing, worker=1

So we think, there is something wrong with the transfer of the sessionkey/ID using the API manger Gateway. We're analzing this, but If you knowing issues regarding session key/id handling, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Tarek1977
Path Finder

As sni_splunk point to it correctly, that was the root cause: the API Manager Gateway removes the AuthorizationPart in the HTTP Header. We reconfigure it now. It works.

Thank you!

sni_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In the HTTP request sent by mobile app, there should be an HTTP header called "Authorization" containing the Splunk session key, please make sure this HTTP header is correctly passed to mobile access server and not removed by the gateway between the mobile app and mobile access server.

sni_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sorry, it seems the Splunk Answers service has some permission problem preventing me from posting comment, so here I simply use the answer section temporarily.

The information is still not enough to determine what is cause is. Could you please provide some server log when you reproduce this issue? You should be able to find the server log under MOBILE_ACCESS_SERVER_HOME/server/logs folder. There are two files server.log and access_log.log that will be useful for investigation. Additionally, you can set the logging level from "info" to "debug" to collect more information. To do this, please change the MOBILE_ACCESS_SERVER_HOME/server/config/config_local.json file, find a JSON property called "logging" (if there is no such property, add one):

{
"logging": { "level": "info" },
}

And change the "level" property value from "info" to "debug".

If we get the server log when the issue is happening, we may get more details and understand how this happens.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...