All Apps and Add-ons

No JMX data?

wstiern

My super complicated test .xml with all the comments and JVM stats removed for functional testing purposes:

<jmxpoller>

<formatter className="com.dtdsoftware.splunk.formatter.TokenizedMBeanNameQuotesStrippedFormatter" />

<jmxserver host="redacted" jvmDescription="redacted" jmxport="8686" jmxuser="admin" jmxpass="redacted">

<mbean domain="com.redacted.redacted.web.redacted" properties="name=application-statistics">

<attribute name="redacted" outputname="redacted" />

</mbean>
    </jmxserver>
</jmxpoller>

This produces absolutely nothing. No JMX-related output in the logs. I can connect to the JVM with jconsole using the supplied credentials, browse to the configured mbean, jackhammer the Refresh button and get new values. Splunk, however, gets nothing, and leaves no indication as to why. Searching for "host=redacted" or "source='jmx://redacted'" yields nothing.

This is not a complicated setup, nor is it a complicated app. Single server test environment, just trying to get JMX data into Splunk directly instead of having to do some nasty search-time field extraction after indexing data output from JMXTrans text files. It's currently running on JDK 1.7, I tried 1.6 for science to no avail. No idea how to proceed since I'm not getting any errors and there doesn't appear to be a way to raise the log level.

Yes, the data input source is Enabled, and source type is "jmx", the polling interval is 1s.

This is totally making me feel like a dummy. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Copying in your answer to me via direct email :

Anyway, I brought up another test
instance of Splunk on a different box
and it appears to be working, so I'm
not sure what the problem is with this
machine. Thanks for your time.

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Copying in your answer to me via direct email :

Anyway, I brought up another test
instance of Splunk on a different box
and it appears to be working, so I'm
not sure what the problem is with this
machine. Thanks for your time.

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Any errors in the logs ?

Search in Splunk Web : index=_internal ExecProcessor error jmx.py

0 Karma

shandman
Path Finder

I've been trying for about a month now to get this working. Extremely frustrating. When you say 8686 is not the only port in a remote JMX handshake, how do we find out what the "secret" ports are?

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Can you connect remotely using JConsole ?

java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host is something in your network setup.

Note , 8686 is not the only port in a remote JMX RMI/IIOP handshake.

0 Karma

wstiern

Splunk

09-12-2014 12:22:37.757 -0400 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jmx_ta/bin/jmx.py"    java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out]"

09-12-2014 12:22:37.757 -0400 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jmx_ta/bin/jmx.py" host=redacted, jmxServiceURL=, jmxport=8686, jvmDescription=redacted, processID=0,stanza=jmx://redacted,systemErrorMessage="Failed to retrieve RMIServer stub: javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: redacted; nested exception is:
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Can you connect remotely using JConsole ie: run JConsole from the same host where Splunk is running.

0 Karma

wstiern

From Glassfish J2EE server domain.xml:

<jmx-connector port="8686" address="0.0.0.0" security-enabled="false" name="system" auth-realm-name="admin-realm" />
<jvm-options>-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.local.only=false</jvm-options>

The target server is also monitored via JMX by Zabbix, has JMX endpoints being polled by JMXTrans, and I can use jmxsh to authenticate and browse the mbeans. So, not a problem with other JMXy things.

0 Karma

wstiern

Also I can telnet to 8686 on the target server from the Splunk server:

redacted@splunk ~ $ telnet redacted 8686
Trying 10.201.2.67...
Connected to redacted.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
0 Karma

wstiern

iptables is off on the target system.

redacted@redacted ~ $ sudo service iptables status
iptables: Firewall is not running.
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I smell a firewall config most likely.

0 Karma

wstiern

Yes!

"Connection refused to host"

These usually get dumped to logs, I wonder why that isn't happening now..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...