All Apps and Add-ons
Highlighted

Splunk DB Connect: Inputs get disabled after server restarts. Is there a way to automatically re-enable the inputs or another solution?

Path Finder

I work in a dynamic environment and often servers will get restarted for various reasons, updates for example..

Often I'll miss these events because I'm not on-call or nobody tells me. What happens is Splunk DB Connect disables all the inputs for that server and never tries to re-enable them.

So that data stops flowing into Splunk until someone manually re-enables the inputs for the servers in question.

My question is: Is there any way to have auto-retry logic? Or is there something I can use to monitor for inputs that get disabled? Right now I simply can't trust the data going into it because of this.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Splunk DB Connect: Inputs get disabled after server restarts. Is there a way to automatically re-enable the inputs or another solution?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @johnpof

There's a previous Answers post similar to this topic with an answer that suggests disabling the auto_disable setting in inputs.conf. That might solve your issue:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/438527/how-to-prevent-splunk-db-connect-2-from-disabling.html

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: Splunk DB Connect: Inputs get disabled after server restarts. Is there a way to automatically re-enable the inputs or another solution?

Path Finder

Nice! that's perfect. Can I update inputs.conf live and will the changes immediately be reflected?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hm, I'm not positive about that actually. I just remembered coming by that previous question before and it came to mind when I saw yours.

From looking at the inputs.conf spec for Splunk Enterprise docs, it says Splunk has to be restarted for config changes to take effect:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/admin/Inputsconf

I don't see that specifically in the DB Connect inputs.conf docs, but I would assume that a restart is still required after any changes:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/2.3.0/DeployDBX/inputsspec

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer, but hopefully someone who does have experience with this can confirm.

Highlighted

Path Finder

I'll probably restart it and see what happens

0 Karma
Highlighted

Super Champion

can u try updating the inputs.conf using REST API. if you can find it, then it doesn't require restart hopefully

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

For future reference, I used this handy line to add auto_disable = False right after all occurrences of disabled = 0

sed -i $'s/disabled = 0/disabled = 0\\\nauto_disable = False/g' inputs.conf
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing that @johnpof 🙂 Cheers!

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

So I came in this morning after a major maintenance, every single input was disabled.

so unfortunately this isn't working 😕 does it matter where you put the auto_disable = False?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @johnpof

Sorry I just saw your follow up comment. Did you happen to figure it out? I noticed the value you used for auto_disable was "False", not "false" as shown in the documentation. I'm not sure if the value is case sensitive.

0 Karma
Speak Up for Splunk Careers!

We want to better understand the impact Splunk experience and expertise has has on individuals' careers, and help highlight the growing demand for Splunk skills.