All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect : An identity can be used by several connections

Harishma
Communicator

I came across this in the DB Connect doc 2.4.0
It's important to remember that, while an identity can be used by several connections, each connection can only be assigned a single identity.
Sorry if my doubt sounds naive cos Im new to DB Connect, but what does it mean by an Identity can have many connections? Hows it possible?
In Indentity we give the username and password
and in Connection we provide the DB Details like hostname, JDBC URL etc.
How can we have more connections for the same username n password?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

In case you haven't figured this out already, you may have a account configured on multiple databases. So you would have a single identity attached to multiple connections. Each connection uses the same username and password. In dbx1 you had to add the username/password for each connection, which meant if you ever changed the password you had to modify it for each connection!

Harishma
Communicator

@jplumsdaine22 ,
Thankyou for the response. But I have a small doubt w.r.t what you mentioned.

"you may have a account configured on multiple databases." --> Does This mean the same account exists on multiple database SERVERS?

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Well, that depends on how your databases are configured - a single server could have multiple databases running on it. It's best to think about this in terms of databases rather than servers, as the credientials in db connect are used to connect to the databases themselves, not the servers hosting the databases.

0 Karma

Harishma
Communicator

Hi @jplumsdaine22 ,

Sorry to ask further on this...
So does that mean a generic account id is used to connect to multiple databases that exists on the same host-DB server?

AND

The generic account can be used to access one DB that exists on two different DB servers.
Actually I'm not understanding how can we use same account name and password for multiple Databases 😞

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

You said: Actually I'm not understanding how can we use same account name and password for multiple Databases

I assure you it is possible. So it may be that:

A) You don't know how to provision accounts for your particular database (Mysql, MSSQL, Oracle etc) . In that case have a quick google or visit a forum more specific to your technology

B) You're having trouble getting Splunk to connect to your database. In which case please be more specific with the problem you are having. I recommend posting a new question describing the errors you saw.

C) You're talking about something else entirely, and my blithe reassurances that you can do it sound like madness. In which case please be more specific with what it is you're trying to do. If English is not your strong point, feel free to post a new question in your native language - there's no problem at all with that and you might get a more sensible response

Hope we can help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...