All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for Web Analytics: Eventtype field values empty after datamodel acceleration

a_kearney
Explorer

Hi, I'm trying to get the Splunk App for Web Analytics to work and am having trouble with the Web data model acceleration.

Currently when viewing the Analytics Center and Audience tabs I get 'No results found'. After some investigating this is because the Web.eventtype=pageview part of the SPL query that runs is not returning any results (when I examine the search and remove this part results are returned). When I look at the events in the datamodel via Pivot there are no events where this is true, in fact the Web.eventtype field is empty for all events in the data model. Note: this is when the data model is accelerated.

When I turn off acceleration I can see that the field 'eventtype' in the data model is created by an auto-extracted field. I can then go to the edit page of the eventtype field and preview the output of the extraction, then the eventtype field is populated as expected. I can check this through a Pivot again and the values for the eventtype field values are still present.

I can't work out why the field values disappear when enabling data model acceleration. I'm only working on a small data set currently for testing (<10Mb) and have given 2+ hours for the data model acceleration to be built. I have also generated the lookup tables required by the App a number of time, so that is not the issue.

I am using v2.2.2 of the App and Splunk v8.0.2. I believe I have the App set up correctly as the Real Time tab is showing data. I also breifly was able to view data on the Analytics Center and Audience tab yesterday but can't work out what changes caused this to occur!

Edit: When I runthe Data Model Audit I get the following errors on the Top Accelerations visualizations:

[map]: Failed to fetch REST endpoint uri=https://127.0.0.1:8089/servicesNS/nobody/SplunkAppForWebAnalytics/admin/summarization/tstats:DM_SplunkAppForWebAnalytics_myWeb?count=0 from server https://127.0.0.1:8089. Check that the URI path provided exists in the REST API.
0 Karma

hpbrand
Explorer

Hi all!

Exact the same problem here.
Did anyone already found a workaround or a solution for this problem?

I am using v2.2.2 of the App on Splunk v7.3.3.

0 Karma

hpbrand
Explorer

The problem arises when cloning the Web data model if the Splunk_SA_CIM app is already installed on the system. The Splunk_SA_CIM app contains also a data model with the name Web. When cloning the Web data model of the Web Analytics app, the tags_whitlist from the Web data model of the Splunk_SA_CIM app gets also cloned (tags_whitelist = pci, proxy, web_watchlist).
I deleted the tags_whitlist in the new WebAnalytics data model and rebuilt the data model. After that the app worked as it should.

cboillot
Contributor

I did not see tags_whitlist in the data model,. I had to disable the Splunk_SA_CIM app and changing the datamodle micro back to get it to work.

0 Karma

a_kearney
Explorer

I ended up running a new deployment of Splunk with no other Add-Ons/Apps and managed to get it working first time.

I was working in a Dev environment so this was an acceptable solution for me. On my initial set up I did have a lot of other Add-Ons/Apps installed so I'm wondering if there was a CIM conflict or something similar

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Maximize the Value from Microsoft Defender with Splunk

 Watch NowJoin Splunk and Sens Consulting for this Security Edition Tech TalkWho should attend:  Security ...

This Week's Community Digest - Splunk Community Happenings [6.27.22]

Get the latest news and updates from the Splunk Community here! News From Splunk Answers ✍️ Splunk Answers is ...

Reminder! Splunk Love Promo: $25 Visa Gift Card for Your Honest SOAR Review With ...

We recently launched our first Splunk Love Special, and it's gone phenomenally well, so we're doing it again, ...