All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for VMWare - Hydra gateway not starting, no listening process on port 8008

mikelanghorst
Motivator

A few weeks ago the OS was updated, and the Splunk HF was updated to 6.3. This was Splunk VMWare 3.1.0, but have updated to 3.2.1 to no affect.

I noticed today that neither the performance, nor inventory data is being collected. In the logs I see messages about not being able to connect:

2016-03-11 19:07:11,366 ERROR [ta_vmware_collection_worker://theta:10258] Problem with hydra worker ta_vmware_collection_worker://theta:10258: [HydraGatewayAdapter] could not authenticate with gateway after 3 retries
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/app/splunk/etc/apps/SA-Hydra/bin/hydra/hydra_worker.py", line 507, in run
self.establishGateway()
File "/app/splunk/etc/apps/SA-Hydra/bin/hydra/hydra_worker.py", line 428, in establishGateway
hga = HydraGatewayAdapter(self.node_path, self.session_key, self.gateway_uri)
File "/app/splunk/etc/apps/SA-Hydra/bin/hydra/hydra_common.py", line 66, in init
self.authenticate_gateway()
File "/app/splunk/etc/apps/SA-Hydra/bin/hydra/hydra_common.py", line 83, in authenticate_gateway
raise Exception("[HydraGatewayAdapter] could not authenticate with gateway after %s retries" % (str(retry)))
Exception: [HydraGatewayAdapter] could not authenticate with gateway after 3 retries

Other indications that it's should be connecting on port 8008, but there's no listening process. troubleshooting ideas, or resolution?

0 Karma
1 Solution

mikelanghorst
Motivator

For 6.3, the issue ended up being for me the versions of the SA-Hyrda and SA-Utils had gotten out of sync, therefore couldn't communicate to be able to start the port 8008 service

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mikelanghorst
Motivator

For 6.3, the issue ended up being for me the versions of the SA-Hyrda and SA-Utils had gotten out of sync, therefore couldn't communicate to be able to start the port 8008 service

0 Karma

trapti_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, we have an issue of SSL with Splunk 6.4 that does not connect to DCN on port 8008.

We already have a scheduled release of VMWare where we have fixed this.

0 Karma

splunk24
Path Finder

how to make 8008 port as SSL in vmware ? please help ..

0 Karma

trapti_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you check below and update:

1) What is the Splunk version 6.3.x ?
2) Are you getting any error in logs specific to SSL or SSLv2?

0 Karma

leesiangfong

Hi Trapti,
My Splunk version is 6.4 and tested on 6.4 also has the same issue.

I do not get any error on SSL. May I know which log you referring to?

Thanks
Lee

0 Karma

trapti_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is your Splunk version different on SH/Indexer and DCN?

0 Karma

mikelanghorst
Motivator

Same splunk version.

0 Karma

leesiangfong

My Splunk version is 6.4 (I also tested on 6.3) also face the same issue. Both DCN and SH/Indexer using the same version

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...