All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for Unix and Linux: How to search for data on account lockouts?

tmarlette
Motivator

I have deployed the UNIX app successfully to my environment, and the app is working well, however I don't see anything that would tell me about 'account lockouts'. I wanted to ask a couple of questions to the community to see if i'm missing something.

Question 1: Am i overlooking something within the UNIX app that I just just click on to see when a Unix account is locked out? a search that is already formulated?

Question 2: in trying to build my own 'account lockout' query, and I can see a series of events if I search for:

index=my_index bad password

the no quotes are deliberate, and all linux data goes to the same index. I can't however see in the event message where it say's 'bad password'.

I've also tried to search the

index=my_index sourcetype="Unix:UserAccounts"

for an instance, however I can't see anything there either. I assume it's my ignorance, so I figured I would ask and see if someone has already done this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

tmarlette
Motivator

I found out there is no such place / extraction. This must be done manually, and in many cases from /var/log/messages.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tmarlette
Motivator

I found out there is no such place / extraction. This must be done manually, and in many cases from /var/log/messages.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...