All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Windows Installation Questions

adamblock1
Explorer

Is it possible to install the Splunk Add-on for Windows solely on a search head, or must it also be installed on indexers as well? If this is possible, must the search head be running on a Windows platform?

Thank you.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You should install it on indexers, search heads, and Windows hosts. The docs say install it everywhere. 🙂 See Download and configure the Splunk Add-on for Windows.

The system requirements in the documentation also say "You can install the app on a non-Windows Splunk Enterprise instance to display Windows data coming from external Windows sources."

0 Karma

adamblock1
Explorer

I am currently working with a test system, and currently only have access to the search head. If the add-on would be installed on the search head, and not on the indexer(s), does that mean that whatever parsing is performed will be performed at search time as opposed to when the events are indexed?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you have the Windows add-on only on a search head, then you get:

• Windows data if the search head is a Windows host and you enable data collection
  • Search-time parsing and field extraction
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...