All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for ServiceNow: Why am I getting "KeyError: 'elements' - Exception: Failed to get service_now.conf" during setup?

grossb
Explorer

When i installed/configured the service now add-on, i got the "KeyError: 'elements'" when trying the GUI setup. So i went to the config files and configured there. Not i'm getting the errors in the log:

2015-07-22 16:50:40,738 INFO 140299624580864 - Start Snow TA
2015-07-22 16:50:40,771 ERROR 140299624580864 - Failed to get service_now.conf
2015-07-22 16:50:40,771 ERROR 140299624580864 - Failed to setup config for Snow TA: Failed to get service_now.conf
2015-07-22 16:50:40,771 ERROR 140299624580864 - Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_snow/bin/snow.py", line 84, in run
    snow_conf = snow_config.SnowConfig()
  File "/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_snow/bin/snow_config.py", line 38, in __init__
    default_configs = self._get_default_configs()
  File "/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_snow/bin/snow_config.py", line 78, in _get_default_configs
    raise Exception("Failed to get service_now.conf")
Exception: Failed to get service_now.conf

I did notice the known issue noted in the release notes (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/ServiceNow/Releasenotes).

"Add-on fails with KeyError: 'elements' when connecting through a proxy set up in splunk-launch.conf. Workaround: Do not use global proxy settings with add-ons. Instead, configure a proxy using the add-on's built-in proxy configuration support."

But we do not have this set up in splunk-launch.conf so i'm not sure where else to look.

Any ideas?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hey, this stuff can get complex, so here goes:

1. Splunk is a web app, so you've got to have clear shots from your browser to and from the splunk server for anything to work.
  2. Additionally, the splunk server is running code that needs to talk to itself, and it's not uncommon for name resolution and proxy settings to cause that traffic to effectively act like it's going out to the network instead of just loopback.
  3. you can configure proxies in unix environment variables, in splunk-launch.conf, or in the configuration files of many add-ons... not to mention the popular transparent proxy option in which firewalls just route your traffic to a proxy. If these conflict or override each other, everyone gets confused.
0 Karma

grossb
Explorer

So we do have an explicit proxy. I tried both the system proxy settings as well as the SN app specific proxy stanza within the 'service_now.conf' with same results:

Exception: Failed to get service_now.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...