All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows: inputs.conf [default] and [global] not working. Do I need to specify the index for every stanza?

mikesangray
Path Finder

I'd like to set some [default] or [global] settings for inputs.conf files on my Windows forwarders using the TA. For example, I want to set index = windesktops as the default index, but each time I try this, I stop getting data...it looks like I need to specify the index for every stanza in my inputs.conf file for the Windows TA...is this true? With registry keys, etc., there will be A LOT of stanzas in this file.

0 Karma

Jeremiah
Motivator

You should be able to specify a default stanza in an inputs.conf file like this:

[default]
index=windesktops

[WinEventLog://Application]
disabled = 0 
... rest of your stanzas ...
0 Karma

mikesangray
Path Finder

Yeah, I know...hence my comment "but each time I try this, I stop getting data". I've just tested again this morning, same result. When I use a [default] stanza where I specify the index I stop getting data. I have to change inputs.conf back to having no [default] stanza and specifying the index in each stanza individually.

DOESN'T WORK
[default]
index = windesktops

disabled = 0

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0

[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = 0

...snip...

DOES WORK
disabled = 0
index = windesktops

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
index = windesktops

[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = 0
index = windesktops

...snip...

0 Karma

Jeremiah
Motivator

What output do you get from running btool? With/without the default stanza?

splunk cmd btool inputs list

The output should be identical regardless of how you set the index; ie, your default stanza should be interpreted correctly and each input statement should show the "index = windesktops" setting, even though its not set explicitly. Do you have different input types, or are they all WinEventLog? You might try creating a monitor input and see if it behaves differently.

0 Karma

mikesangray
Path Finder

Running splunk cmd btool inputs list using each version of my inputs.conf results in the same output (confirmed by copy/paste into UltraCompare).

I'm going to update my SE and possibly open a tech. support case. I need some fresh eyes on this. It isn't behaving the way it should and it's either my fault/misunderstanding/misconfiguration or there's something wrong with how the Splunk_TA_windows operates. Either way I need to get this ready as we're looking to start splunking hundreds...possibly thousands of desktops.

Also, FYI for anyone following along - if you want to get just the stanza headers using btool the cmd is:
splunk cmd btool inputs list | grep "[" <- there needs to be a backslash in front of the [ the backslash is getting filtered out by this forum posting tool.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

To put actual text into the forum insert a new line and indent 4 spaces

indent 4 spaces and have an empty line above

Jeremiah
Motivator

The fact that the stanzas are the same in both btool outputs points towards a bug, though I'm really surprised this wasn't seen before. I can tell you we do this on linux forwarders and it works fine.

0 Karma

mikesangray
Path Finder

Agreed that this is surprising. I would have thought someone would have caught this as well...which is why I'm not ready to say it isn't my fault. I'll open a case and alert my SE. I'll post back once I have more information.

0 Karma

timothywatson
Path Finder

So what was the outcome? Did you also have to update indexes.conf?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...