All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Box: I can see data with other sourcetypes, but why do I not see a box:events sourcetype?

networkers

Got this TA running without too much issue on a search head that sends this to a remote indexer using an index called "newbox" I can see data with the following source types:

box:users
box:folderCollaboration
box:folder

box:file

box:fileComment
box:fileTask
box:groups

Shouldn't there also be a box:events sourcetype? Essentially I want to set up the same dashboards that I have for Box App for Splunk ie searches for delete events like:

index=box event_type="*delete*" OR event_type="*remove*"| dedup event_id |spath source | table created_at, created_by.name, created_by.login, event_type, source.item_type, source.item_name, source.parent.name | rename created_at as time, created_by.name as user, created_by.login as login,source.item_type as item_type,source.item_name as item_name,source.parent.name as parent_folder
0 Karma
1 Solution

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Add-on seems to have uncovered an API problem, Box may disable events polling in some cases. You might be able to avoid the threshold by slowing collection with this option: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/latest/Box/Troubleshooting#Concurrent_vs_sequential_fold...

Or just disable event collection until this gets fixed. We're not sure yet where those fixes will be done or when.

View solution in original post

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Add-on seems to have uncovered an API problem, Box may disable events polling in some cases. You might be able to avoid the threshold by slowing collection with this option: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/latest/Box/Troubleshooting#Concurrent_vs_sequential_fold...

Or just disable event collection until this gets fixed. We're not sure yet where those fixes will be done or when.

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We just posted version 1.0.1, which reduces the aggression level on queries a bit; there's still some more work to do on the Box side before event gathering is fully operational.

0 Karma

Heff
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, there is a box:events sourcetype.

The inputs.conf has

[box_service://events]
rest_endpoint = events
duration = 20

the props.conf has

[box:events]
FIELDALIAS-action = event_type AS action
FIELDALIAS-src = ip_address AS src
FIELDALIAS-src_user = created_by_name AS src_user
FIELDALIAS-src_user_category = created_by_type AS src_user_category
EVAL-object = case(isnotnull(source_item_name),source_item_name)
EVAL-object_category = case(isnotnull(source_item_type),source_item_type)
EVAL-object_id = case(isnotnull(source_item_id),source_item_id)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...