All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk 8.0.2: Why the error "Could not load lookup=LOOKUP-app4_for_windows_security"?

hlouwes

Recently we've upgraded from Splunk 7.0.2 to 8.0.2. Splunk is running on a Redhat Linux server. I've installed the corresponding UniversalForwarder 8.0.2 on two Windows servers. Also all installed apps and addons were updated to the most recent versions.
While executing searches or additional apps I keep getting the error "Could not load lookup=LOOKUP-app4_for_windows_security".
Anyone any idea how to solve this ? I'm pretty new to Splunk so any help is appreciated highly.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

linhmai_bne
Path Finder

Hi @woodcock ,

I received this error when I run 

| inputlookup windows_app

The following error(s) occurred while the search ran. Therefore, search results might be incomplete.
  • The lookup table 'windows_apps' requires a .csv or KV store lookup definition.
  • The lookup table 'windows_apps' is invalid.

Do you think what is missing? I run from the search head.

Tks

Linh.

0 Karma

secengineering
Engager

Hi @linhmai_bne and @woodcock , 

I am getting the same error while running the command.

secengineering_0-1649922321807.png

We dont have Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure app but we have upgraded the  Splunk_TA_windows app from 4.8.4 to 8.4.0 while upgrading splunk from 7.x to 8.1.Were you able to find a solution to the issue.

thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It has to do with the fact that there was a switch in the Splunk_TA_windows from sourcetype as differentiator to source. Start with this search SPL to see the now-broken lookup file data:

|inputlookup windows_apps

If this pulls up data (it definitely will if you go into the Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure app which is the app that owns this lookup file), then expand to this SPL and run it to upgrade the lookup file to be compatible with the changes in the upgraded Splunk_TA_windows:

|inputlookup windows_apps
| eval sourcetype=source
|outputlookup windows_apps

See here for TLDR:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/724844/after-updating-the-add-on-for-windows-receive-erro.html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...