All Apps and Add-ons

Splitting up one data source into two indexes in O365

omuelle1
Communicator

Good morning,

I have a question regarding Office 365 data:

• I have two organizations that share one O365 tenant.
  • Both organizations want to have their own Splunk O365 index and only see their data.
  • I am able to differentiate the data by domains of users.

Is there a way to write a transforms.conf or props.conf with which I could parse the data with certain domains to go to one index and data with certain domains to the other?

Thank you,

Oliver

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi omuelle1,
yiou have to write a props.conf and transforma.conf on your indexers; if you have an Heavy Forwarders (and you should have it) you have to put these files on the Heavy Forwarders.

On props.conf

[mysourcetype]
 TRANSFORMS-index = overrideindex

On transforms.conf

[overrideindex]
 DEST_KEY =_MetaData:Index
 REGEX = my_regex
 FORMAT = my_new_index

where my_regex is the regex that identifies the logs to forward to a different Index.

Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi omuelle1,
yiou have to write a props.conf and transforma.conf on your indexers; if you have an Heavy Forwarders (and you should have it) you have to put these files on the Heavy Forwarders.

On props.conf

[mysourcetype]
 TRANSFORMS-index = overrideindex

On transforms.conf

[overrideindex]
 DEST_KEY =_MetaData:Index
 REGEX = my_regex
 FORMAT = my_new_index

where my_regex is the regex that identifies the logs to forward to a different Index.

Bye.
Giuseppe

omuelle1
Communicator

Thank you I just did that with some test data and it worked. I will need to try it as well once I have the live data.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi omuelle1,
if you're satisfied by this answer, please accept and/ot upvote it.
We'll see for the next tip.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

oscar84x
Contributor

What in the actual events or data tells them apart? What about the file name? Could you provide a data sample and highlight what differentiates them?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...