All Apps and Add-ons

Sideview Utils 1.3.1 button has to be clicked twice to load timechart

xtrjx
Explorer

I upgraded Sideview utils today to version 1.3.1 from 1.2.5 and noticed a strange problem where I have to click the search button twice in order for timechart views to render graphs.

The first time the button is clicked, the JobProgressIndicator shows some progress but never completes, then goes away. The second time I click the button, the JobProgressIndicator seems to start over but continues through completion.

I'm using SideView Utils "button" module. If I use Splunk's "SubmitButton" module, the charts display fine with a single click. This happens in all of my dashboards that use the "button" module along with timecharts. The problem does not occur with simple result tables, only seems to be with timecharts. I restored my SideView Utils back to the prior version and the button now behaves as expected - sigle click gets the timecharts rendered with just one click. I may try to re-install SideView 1.3.1 later. For now, I'll keep using 1.2.5 unless someone might have a suggestion or fix to share. Is anyone else experiencing this?? Also, this seems to happen on both IE8 and FireFox.
Thanks.

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem was that the fix I introduced in 1.3.1, for this issue -- http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/39788/pulldown-not-always-populated-from-query-string, had this problem in simpler cases.

Actually the original solution I gave to Yair privately was the best solution. For Sideview Utils 1.3.1, I had made a subsequent change, but that subsequent change caused this problem for you. My apologies.

Fixed in Sideview Utils 1.3.2, so go ahead and update and the problem should go away.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Fix posted. Answer below. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and for doing the (very helpful) troubleshooting.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem was that the fix I introduced in 1.3.1, for this issue -- http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/39788/pulldown-not-always-populated-from-query-string, had this problem in simpler cases.

Actually the original solution I gave to Yair privately was the best solution. For Sideview Utils 1.3.1, I had made a subsequent change, but that subsequent change caused this problem for you. My apologies.

Fixed in Sideview Utils 1.3.2, so go ahead and update and the problem should go away.

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Excellent. If you see weird behavior like that, drop me a line sooner rather than later. I don't mind the false positives cause it's usually one of like 3 things that can be answered by docs links.

0 Karma

xtrjx
Explorer

Thanks for the quick fix Nick! I really appreciate it. I loaded Sideview Utils 1.3.2 and verified it resolved the problem I had. Also, thanks for the explanation on answer 39788. I actually had that problem too but it seemed intermittent and I couldn't put my finger on it at the time.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see the problem. Working on it now. I'll have a fix posted soon, both as an answer to this question, and as a new version of Sideview Utils, in at most a couple hours.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...