All Apps and Add-ons

Sideview Search Module Does Not Execute Search

mconte01
Explorer

I'm trying to use the dynamic HTML feature of Sideview to inject search results into my custom HTML. The problem is, any time I put a "Search" module into a dashboard the page hangs, and displays "Loading..." in the upper-right corner of the page. This happens even with an empty Search module. For instance, here is the page I'm trying to create. (Sorry for the formatting but the editor wouldn't let me insert an XML snippet)

XML:

module name="Search" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1" autoRun="True">
    param name="search"> | savedsearch last_command_by_engine</param>
    module name="HTML">
      param name="loadingText">Searching...</param>
      param name="src">last_commands_table.html</param>
    /module>   
/module>

last_commands _table.html:

<h1>Results: $results[0]$</h1>
    <h1>Search: $search$</h1>
    <table> 
            <thead>
                    <th>0</th>
                    <th>1</th>
                    <th>2</th>
                    <th>3</th>
                    <th>4</th>
                    <th>5</th>
                    <th>6</th>
            </thead>
            <tbody>
                    <td></td>
                    <td></td>
                    <td></td>
                    <td></td>
                    <td></td>
                    <td></td>
            </tbody>
    </table>

The HTML template is rendered but the search is not carried out. There's just the "Loading..." message at the top and nothing else happens.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Note back on the Sideview Utils documentation, on the homepage, in the section "How do I start using all this?", there it says that in any view where you want to use a Sideview UI module, you MUST include the "SideviewUtils" module. The SideviewUtils module is necessary because it brings in common code and functionality that all other Sideview modules need. It's invisible and takes up no space so you can put it anywhere you like. I recommend hiding it at the top of the view next to the AccountBar so it's out of the way.

While I could in theory make every Sideview module check for the presence of the SideviewUtils module and give an informative alert if it's absent, since I have no other way to put globally available code into the system, I'd have to duplicate that error-checking code in every single Sideview Utils module and thus far I've been unwilling to do that.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Note back on the Sideview Utils documentation, on the homepage, in the section "How do I start using all this?", there it says that in any view where you want to use a Sideview UI module, you MUST include the "SideviewUtils" module. The SideviewUtils module is necessary because it brings in common code and functionality that all other Sideview modules need. It's invisible and takes up no space so you can put it anywhere you like. I recommend hiding it at the top of the view next to the AccountBar so it's out of the way.

While I could in theory make every Sideview module check for the presence of the SideviewUtils module and give an informative alert if it's absent, since I have no other way to put globally available code into the system, I'd have to duplicate that error-checking code in every single Sideview Utils module and thus far I've been unwilling to do that.

mconte01
Explorer

Nevermind, there was a typo in the search itself. Thank you for the help.

0 Karma

mconte01
Explorer

Thanks. The "Loading..." message is now gone and the $search$ token is being properly replaced. But I'm not seeing and search results. I believe the search is being run because when I tried to run a saved search that didn't exist, I got an error. I can't figure out why I'm not seeing the results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...