All Apps and Add-ons

SNMP Modular Input: Why do I see no data when I search for sourcetype=SNMP_TA?

travisprice

I am trying to receive SNMP traps from a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller. I installed the SNMP_TA app, added a MIB file (SNMPv2-MIB) from Cisco, and originally setup using port 162. After saving I searched for " " and saw the following message:

"ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunkinstall/splunk/etc/apps/snmp_ta/bin/snmp.py" Failed to register transport and run dispatcher: bind() for ('localhost', 162) failed: [Errno 13] Permission denied snmp_stanza:snmp://XXXXXX".  

I then added aN iptables rule:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p udp --dport 162 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8166 

and changed the data input to be equal to 8166. There are no other rules in my iptables. I then did a search for index=_internal error ExecProcessor snmp.py and saw no errors, but I see no SNMP data when I search for sourcetype=SNMP_TA.

Additionally when I do a TCPdump for the host that is supposed to be sending the data, I see the traps.

Below are my input settings as they exist now:

SNMP Mode = Listen for traps
IP Version 6 = Not checked
SNMP Version = 2c
Community String = XXXXXX
MIB Names = SNMPv2-MIB
Response Handler = BLANK
Response Handler Arguments = BLANK
TRAP listener host = XXXXX.XXX.com
TRAP listener port = 8166
Reverse DNS lookup of trap sources = Not checked
Set sourcetype * = Manual
Source Type = cisco:asa
Host field value = localhost.localdomain
Index = access
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

1)

Permission denied snmp_stanza:snmp://XXXXXX"

Well , you are likely getting the error for port 162 because this is a privileged port < 1024 and you are not running Splunk with necessary user privileges

2)

I see no SNMP data when I search for sourcetype=SNMP_TA.

Perhaps because you have set the sourcetype above to cisco:asa

3)

added a MIB file (SNMPv2-MIB) from Cisco

FYI : you don't need to do this. By default the SNMP Mod Input ships with several standard core and common MIBs and this is one of them.You can see all these MIBs by unzipping snmp_ta/bin/mibs/pysnmp_mibs-0.1.4-py2.7.egg

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...