All Apps and Add-ons

Pulldown Multi-select multiple templates?

jamesvz84
Communicator

With SideView Utils, I am using multi-selection Pulldown. Upon multi-selection, I would like to create two templates. One for use in a query (Ex: application=app1 OR application=app2) and one for use in a drilldown URL to pass the values to the target page (Ex: application=app1&application=app2). Is there any way I can create two template on a Pulldown. Or is there some other way to accomplish my goal?

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1) If the second use of the pulldown arguments is for a URL, 90% of the time you should use the Sideview Redirector module as it handles it for you automatically, at least if you're on a comparatively recent Sideview Utils (latest is 3.2.5 and if you're still on 2.x or 1.x the first thing you should do is upgrade -- http://sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils )

Redirector will handle all the character escaping, and the multiple arguments, and everything just fine - just have <param name="arg.yourTokenHere">$yourToken.rawValue$</param> and you're done.

But.... if you're in the small subset of weird cases where you do need to manually create a URL,

2) you could use the Pulldown's template + separator + outerTemplate params for the main one, and you would use an ArrayValueSetter module for the other one.

foo
Foo
foo="$value$"
+OR+
( $value$ )

foofield

<module name="ArrayValueSetter">
    <param name="name">foo_url</param>
    <param name="array">$foo.rawValue$</param>
    <param name="template">foo=$value$</param>
    <param name="separator">&amp;</param>
    <param name="outerTemplate"></param>

However.... The ArrayValueSetter isn't really designed to make URL's - it's designed to marshal array-valued tokens into things for the search language. As such you may run into problems with url-unsafe chars not being escaped, or with chars being backslash-escaped (for the search language) when you dont want them backslash-escaped. So think very carefully about why you're not using the Redirector module... Email support@sideviewapps.com with your XML if you need advice.

3) somesoni2 gives a fun answer - in the form of using ResultsValueSetter and the search language to craft your correctly-escaped URL up in the search language and then "pull it down" with ResultsValueSetter so it can become a $foo$ token in the UI. This is an extremely powerful and advanced technique, and if it's your cup of tea it's a very tool to heep in your back pocket. 😃 However I strongly recommend thinking about your use case and trying to let the Redirector module do all the work for you. Remember that Link and Redirector or Button + Redirector can be combined very easily...

EXTRA:

A) For others interested in ArrayValueSetter and the general idea of using the array valkues from a multiple selection Pulldown or CheckboxPulldown, or Checkboxes modules, in more than one way, there is of course a whole docs page dedicated to the ArrayValueSetter module, with working examples. In additoin there is a hidden page in Sideview Utils called "testcases_for_array_value_setter" which would give you a few more working examples to play with.

B) I consider the multiple selection mode on the Pulldown module to be obsolete, and you should consider using the CheckboxPulldown module instead.... It offers better usability and at the same time a more compact form element.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can use combination of "Search" and "ResultValueSetter" modules to modify the value for drilldown. Something like this

<module name="Search" layoutPanel="panel_row3_col1" group="...">
    <param name="search">....some search with OR condition application=app1 OR application=app2</param> 
        <module name="HiddenChartFormatter">
            <param name="charting.secondaryAxisTitle.text">Count</param> 
            <param name="charting.chart">column</param> 
            <module name="FlashChart">
                <param name="width">100%</param> 
                <module name="Search">
                    <param name="search">...Your custom search to build localTokenName like "application=app1&application=app2"</param>                 
                    <module name="ResultsValueSetter">
                        <param name="fields">localTokenName</param> 
                        <module name="Redirector">
                            <param name="url">yourTargetdashboard</param> 
                            <param name="arg.TokenNameAtTarget">$localTokenName$</param>
                        </module>
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...