All Apps and Add-ons

Possible bad example in TA_netfilter documentation?

Intermediate
Path Finder

Hello,
We're configuring TA_netfilter based on the documention on github.

The documentation says:

It's recommended to log the uid and gid of the process that produces egress traffic using 'log-uid'.
For example:

-A OUTPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "ACTION=DROP " --log-uid

Perhaps this is just a bad example, but what's the point of logging the UID and GID on a drop message? Won't it always be UID=0 GID=0 for drops?! egress is only outbound traffic.

We are only logging dropped/rejected traffic, not success, so should we just skip this instruction?

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

doksu
Contributor

Thanks for the question @Intermediate. It's only possible to log the uid/gid of egress traffic because the kernel knows which process produced it. Egress traffic won't always have the uid/gid of 0 (root); let's say for example apache suddenly starts attempting to send traffic it shouldn't, the uid/gid would then indicate it was generated by the apache user, which can then be used by the Network Traffic data model and to assist with determining the source process that produced it.

View solution in original post

Intermediate
Path Finder

A colleague offered a possible explanation. Is the intention in this example to determine the UID/GID of processes which have traffic blocked by outbound firewall rules?

0 Karma

doksu
Contributor

Thanks for the question @Intermediate. It's only possible to log the uid/gid of egress traffic because the kernel knows which process produced it. Egress traffic won't always have the uid/gid of 0 (root); let's say for example apache suddenly starts attempting to send traffic it shouldn't, the uid/gid would then indicate it was generated by the apache user, which can then be used by the Network Traffic data model and to assist with determining the source process that produced it.

Intermediate
Path Finder

Thanks Doug that's helpful!

Please ignore my latest "answer" as I posted it before I'd seen your response.

0 Karma

Intermediate
Path Finder

The URL for the documentation was lost when I published my question. It is https://github.com/doksu/TA_netfilter/wiki

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...