All Apps and Add-ons

Modifying the All Indexed Data dashboard for custom indices

dlofstrom
Path Finder

I have customized the Windows App to send perfmon and windows events to separate indices (named perfmon and winevents, respectively). As such, the "All Indexed Data" dashboard at the bottom of the Windows_App_Info ("Overview") page no longer renders the information correctly.

I dove into the XML and tried to re-arrange the search, but had little success with this. It seems to be bound to constraints I am not terribly familiar with (a bit of a novice here). For example, the search to render the "Sources" column is: | metadata type=sources (eventtype="windows_performance" OR eventtype="windows_events") (...etc...). The relevant eventtype definitions have been updated to specify the relevant custom index, and work in normal searches, though not in this particular lookup. On top of that, I can retrieve data if I specify index=*, though this is not exactly what I want. If I change the search to specify (index=winevents OR index=perfmon) in place of the eventtypes parameters, it produces 0 results.

Am I only allowed to specify one index here? Has anyone had any luck getting this to dashboard to render using custom indices?

0 Karma
1 Solution

dlofstrom
Path Finder

I inadvertently figured out the answer to my original question, as well as my follow up.

I can get the search results to appear, as well as the drill-down hyperlinks to work for this dashboard if I include the custom indices as default indices under the relevant user roles.

View solution in original post

dlofstrom
Path Finder

I inadvertently figured out the answer to my original question, as well as my follow up.

I can get the search results to appear, as well as the drill-down hyperlinks to work for this dashboard if I include the custom indices as default indices under the relevant user roles.

skylasam_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

A couple of things to check -
1. Does this user role have access to the new indices that you've setup?
2. Have you modified eventtypes.conf stanzas to include the relevant indices? For example -
[windows_performance]
search = index=perfmon (sourcetype="powershell" OR sourcetype="Perfmon:" OR sourcetype="WMI:Perfmon")
3. You can specify more than one index to target in the searches.

dlofstrom
Path Finder

I think I got the search term correct. There seems to be a restriction where you can't specify OR with indices? I modified the search from:

| metadata type=sources (eventtype="windows_performance" OR eventtype="windows_events")

to:

| metadata type=sources (index=perfmon OR index=winevents)

...which returned nothing. After your post, I tried this instead:

| metadata type=sources index=perfmon index=winevents

...which does work; now I'm getting results. However drilling into the content omits any references to the index, so there must be something else I need to customize to include this.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...