All Apps and Add-ons

Microsoft Azure Add-on for Splunk version config problem

matthewroberson
Path Finder

I installed version 3.0.1 of the Microsoft Azure Add-on for Splunk on one of our Heavy Forwarders. I was able to configure and get all the inputs working except "Microsoft Azure Active Directory Sign-ins", "Microsoft Azure Active Directory Users", and "Microsoft Azure Active Directory Audit" (I'm trying to avoid using the EventHub because of the necessary firewall rules, etc.). All of our Splunk servers are Linux and we have version 8.0.5 installed.

The error I'm seeing is:

2020-08-10 16:25:11,467 ERROR pid=23994 tid=MainThread file=base_modinput.py:log_error:309 | Get error when collecting events.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/ta_ms_aad/aob_py3/modinput_wrapper/base_modinput.py", line 128, in stream_events
    self.collect_events(ew)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/MS_AAD_signins.py", line 88, in collect_events
    input_module.collect_events(self, ew)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/input_module_MS_AAD_signins.py", line 85, in collect_events
    sign_in_response = azutils.get_items_batch(helper, access_token, url)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/ta_azure_utils/utils.py", line 55, in get_items_batch
    raise e
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/ta_azure_utils/utils.py", line 49, in get_items_batch
    r.raise_for_status()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/ta_ms_aad/aob_py3/requests/models.py", line 940, in raise_for_status
    raise HTTPError(http_error_msg, response=self)
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 403 Client Error: Forbidden for url: https://graph.microsoft.com/beta/auditLogs/signIns?$orderby=createdDateTime&$filter=createdDateTime+gt+2020-08-09T16:25:10.822417Z+and+createdDateTime+le+2020-08-10T21:18:11.232754Z

I assume this means the necessary permissions are not in place in Azure. Our Azure admin followed the "Setup an Azure AD Application Registration" documentation built-in to the app ( which is really nice btw ). He doublechecked and he did everything in the instructions. Any ideas on what we might be missing? I looked at the troubleshooting search and didn't come across anything that seemed to spell out what the problem was (beyond what the error above indicates).

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gordo32
Communicator

Funny. I literally ran into this with another customer again today. There are 2 issues that I've found cause the 403 error:

#1 - you MUST have Premium P1 or P2 licensing for this to work. You can access the Sign-in logs via Azure AD portal  without it, but not via api: https://github.com/microsoftgraph/microsoft-graph-docs/issues/10987

#2 - The specific permission that's not documented in the MS rights and is required is Diretory.Read.All (Application). Without this, I've found it to be intermittent (and in some cases, just never works).

The following set of permissions allow me to collect Azure AD, O365, and Graph  API Security logs all with one  AppID:

Microsoft Graph:

AuditLog.Read.All (Application)

Diretory.Read.All (Application)

SecurityEvents.Read.All (Application)

User.Read (Delegated) <--- this is set by default

User.Read.All (Application)

Office 365 Management APIs:

ActivityFeed.Read (Application)

ActivityFeed.ReadDlp (Application)

ServiceHealth.Read (Application)

Thanks,

Gord T.

View solution in original post

Killerkludge
Observer

Did anyone solve this? We have given the user the rights as documented, but still are getting the Client Forbidden 403 error... as below.. all the other log collections are function without ERROR, but this one just never works...

requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 403 Client Error: Forbidden for url: https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/auditLogs/signIns?$orderby=createdDateTime&$filter=createdDateTime+gt+2021-03-25T15:46:06.943832Z+and+createdDateTime+le+2021-03-26T19:39:07.304625Z

0 Karma

gordo32
Communicator

Funny. I literally ran into this with another customer again today. There are 2 issues that I've found cause the 403 error:

#1 - you MUST have Premium P1 or P2 licensing for this to work. You can access the Sign-in logs via Azure AD portal  without it, but not via api: https://github.com/microsoftgraph/microsoft-graph-docs/issues/10987

#2 - The specific permission that's not documented in the MS rights and is required is Diretory.Read.All (Application). Without this, I've found it to be intermittent (and in some cases, just never works).

The following set of permissions allow me to collect Azure AD, O365, and Graph  API Security logs all with one  AppID:

Microsoft Graph:

Thanks,

Gord T.

matthewroberson
Path Finder

For us, it turned out to be a license issue. I have no idea why this isn't the first thing Microsoft support checked. Once we upgraded our license we were able to pull back sign-in logs.

0 Karma

rschweizer

We are encountering the same issue. Did you ever figure out the correct perms or what the issue is?

0 Karma

matthewroberson
Path Finder

We have a case open with Microsoft. We have the permissions specified here set accordingly. They asked us for a fiddler trace and while I was working on that, I was interrupted by an audit evidence request.  When we get it sorted out I will post an update.

0 Karma

mattcosa
Explorer

Hey there, did you ever resolve?

I've posted similarly in another thread with the same issue. 

I've setup the permissions per http://bit.ly/Splunk_Azure_Permissions. Specifically:

Microsoft Azure Active Directory Sign-insMicrosoft Graph(Application) AuditLog.Read.All - Read all audit log data

mattcosa_0-1613023630571.png

I have tried with two tenancies both resulting the same 403.

0 Karma

gordo32
Communicator

I believe the key permission that you're missing is Directory.Read.All (Application).

I consolidated my O365, AzureAD, and GraphAPI permissions into a single appID with the following permissions which work fine:

Microsoft Graph:

Hope this helps!

0 Karma

Boydski
Engager

We have the same issue with the same error.  Ours works periodically, then stops, then starts up again.   

Haven't had a chance to open a case with Microsoft yet, so am curious what they come up with.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...