All Apps and Add-ons

Machine Learning Toolkit: For the Forecast Time Series function, how do I forecast the output to be categories?

wb247459

The Machine Learning Toolkit has "Forecast Time Series" function, it forecasts the numerical values. How do I forecast the output to be categories? Or at least, forecast the results in integer (0 or 1) instead of decimal values?

0 Karma

aoliner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi wb247459,

The predict command is built for numeric data, which is not what you have. For the case of binary data {0, 1}, you could use the predict command and then map the outputs to the nearest binary value, but it's not meant for that use case, so you might see strange results. For example, it may predict an increasing trend that eventually exceeds 1 (or more).

What I think you really want is something that learns sequences of categorical values. Although the Splunk User Behavior Analytics app does learn sequences of user actions, that's not a command that you could apply to, e.g., weather data, and I'm not aware of any such command elsewhere in Splunk.

Does that answer your question (even if it's not the answer you probably wanted)?

Cheers,
- Adam

niketn
Legend

@wb247459... What is the kind of field/value you are looking at?Can you add some sample data?

Forecast time series is essentially around the Splunk predict command, so ideally I would expect anything that can be put to a timechart can be predicted as well. If you have your data that can be put to a command like the following, you can think of predicting the same with Machine Learning Toolkit as well.

<YourBaseSearch>
| timechart count 
| predict count

wb247459

my sample data is something like 0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,1... by the hour, the predicted values should be 0,0,1... but not decimal values such as 0.01, 0.99, etc.

another sample input would be,
_time, weather
2017-01-01 12:00 sunny
2017-01-02 12:00 rain
2017-04-02 12:00 cloudy
forecast the weather for the next day.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...