We are running through the process and are having an issue with the lookup csv files. Even though the jobs for building the lookups finish our counts are still very low. I checked the size of the csv files and the ones on question are more than 40meg and contain more than 10,000 rows but, for example, the Computer lookup is only returning around 1175 entries when we run a inputlookup against it. Where should I go from here - I have tried running through the build AD Lookup List process multiple times without success.
Computer lookup is the one which has more than 10,000 rows and
inputlookup shows only 1175 ? Generally if
inputlookup is not showing any data then it could be a permission issue.
Unfortunately, I am not building the lookups. The MS Windows AD Object app is building them. It is suppose to handle 10s of thousands of entries and the lookup files contain that many entries but inputlookup is only returning a subset of rows. I have tried this for the Users, Computers, and Groups and they are all returning only a subset of data from the CSV files.
I figured out the issue. Looks like someone tried to get the app working before me and they made copies of the csv files to another location that precedes the location in question so it was returning that data. I renamed those files and everything is working now. Thanks for the suggestions.