All Apps and Add-ons

Lookup editor - Splunk 8 - Uncaught TypeError - stuck on saving

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In the Splunk lookup editor https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1724/ version 3.4.2 when I hit save on a CSV file on Splunk 8.0.4.1, I see a javascript error:

 

 

TableEditorView.js:273 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null
at child.prepareForSaving (TableEditorView.js:273)
at child.getData (TableEditorView.js:284)
at child.doSaveLookup (LookupEditView.js:985)
at HTMLDivElement.dispatch (common.js:1063)
at HTMLDivElement.elemData.handle (common.js:1063)

 

 

 

I can replicate this if I create a lookup and leave some fields blank, and once it appears the "saving" is stuck there forever and the save never completes.

I can also replicate it on various random lookup files for editing, randomly a reload and a save works, and sometimes it does not .

Attaching 1 example screenshot...CTRL+E is a nice trick by the way!

The only temporary workaround appears to be load the lookup, then CTRL+F5, and sometimes this works...however if you load the lookup or create  new lookup the issue occurs

I can consistently re-create the issue for new lookups, it's *usually* when there are blank entries or no rows filled out...but we also have the exact same issue when all rows do appear to be filled out...

Finally copy/paste from excel appears to be an issue but the javascript error looks fairly consistent

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I found that if I go to 3.4.5 *and* restart (I could have probably used _bump but anyway) on my dev server the issue stopped happening, I'll find out if this fixes the issue tomorrow.

I also found there were some files from older versions so that might relate to the issue as well...

I've raised idea https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I-434 and cleaned the old files off my search head cluster members and hit the _bump, so far so good.

EDIT: it worked for the other users as well so assuming it was old javascript / css files causing strange issues...

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I found that if I go to 3.4.5 *and* restart (I could have probably used _bump but anyway) on my dev server the issue stopped happening, I'll find out if this fixes the issue tomorrow.

I also found there were some files from older versions so that might relate to the issue as well...

I've raised idea https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I-434 and cleaned the old files off my search head cluster members and hit the _bump, so far so good.

EDIT: it worked for the other users as well so assuming it was old javascript / css files causing strange issues...

Tags (1)
0 Karma

amat
Explorer

I am also suffering from the same issue . Which files did you delete ? I don’t see older files on my instance .

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would suggest you extract a new version of the app into another directory and just run the diff command and look for the "Only in" statements...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Ingest Actions: Filter, Mask, Route, Repeat

WATCH NOW Ingest Actions (IA) is the best new way to easily filter, mask and route your data in Splunk® ...

Splunk Forwarders and Forced Time Based Load Balancing

Splunk customers use universal forwarders to collect and send data to Splunk. A universal forwarder can send ...

NEW! Log Views in Splunk Observability Dashboards Gives Context From a Single Page

Today, Splunk Observability releases log views, a new feature for users to add their logs data from Splunk Log ...