All Apps and Add-ons

Lookup editor - Splunk 8 - Uncaught TypeError - stuck on saving

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In the Splunk lookup editor https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1724/ version 3.4.2 when I hit save on a CSV file on Splunk 8.0.4.1, I see a javascript error:

 

 

TableEditorView.js:273 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null
at child.prepareForSaving (TableEditorView.js:273)
at child.getData (TableEditorView.js:284)
at child.doSaveLookup (LookupEditView.js:985)
at HTMLDivElement.dispatch (common.js:1063)
at HTMLDivElement.elemData.handle (common.js:1063)

 

 

 

I can replicate this if I create a lookup and leave some fields blank, and once it appears the "saving" is stuck there forever and the save never completes.

I can also replicate it on various random lookup files for editing, randomly a reload and a save works, and sometimes it does not .

Attaching 1 example screenshot...CTRL+E is a nice trick by the way!

The only temporary workaround appears to be load the lookup, then CTRL+F5, and sometimes this works...however if you load the lookup or create  new lookup the issue occurs

I can consistently re-create the issue for new lookups, it's *usually* when there are blank entries or no rows filled out...but we also have the exact same issue when all rows do appear to be filled out...

Finally copy/paste from excel appears to be an issue but the javascript error looks fairly consistent

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I found that if I go to 3.4.5 *and* restart (I could have probably used _bump but anyway) on my dev server the issue stopped happening, I'll find out if this fixes the issue tomorrow.

I also found there were some files from older versions so that might relate to the issue as well...

I've raised idea https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I-434 and cleaned the old files off my search head cluster members and hit the _bump, so far so good.

EDIT: it worked for the other users as well so assuming it was old javascript / css files causing strange issues...

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I found that if I go to 3.4.5 *and* restart (I could have probably used _bump but anyway) on my dev server the issue stopped happening, I'll find out if this fixes the issue tomorrow.

I also found there were some files from older versions so that might relate to the issue as well...

I've raised idea https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I-434 and cleaned the old files off my search head cluster members and hit the _bump, so far so good.

EDIT: it worked for the other users as well so assuming it was old javascript / css files causing strange issues...

Tags (1)
0 Karma

amat
Explorer

I am also suffering from the same issue . Which files did you delete ? I don’t see older files on my instance .

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would suggest you extract a new version of the app into another directory and just run the diff command and look for the "Only in" statements...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

How I Instrumented a Rust Application Without Knowing Rust

As a technical writer, I often have to edit or create code snippets for Splunk's distributions of ...

Splunk Community Platform Survey

Hey Splunk Community, Starting today, the community platform may prompt you to participate in a survey. The ...

Observability Highlights | November 2022 Newsletter

 November 2022Observability CloudEnd Of Support Extension for SignalFx Smart AgentSplunk is extending the End ...