All Apps and Add-ons

Linux DHCP and emails

stefanlasiewski
Contributor

In any case, you will want to change
the "Email address(es)" from
"example@example.com" to your desired
email address or distribution list.

This app is sending close to 100 messages every day. They all go to 'example@example.com' which is bouncing around the email system. By default email on most Linux systems will have the 'From:' address of 'splunk@somehost.yourorganization.org', which also goes nowhere (Or perhaps it goes to postmaster@yourorganization.org). This results in hundreds of double-bounced emails which remain in email purgatory.

How would one change this email address? I cannot find that setting anywhere.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

stefanlasiewski
Contributor

Here's how I solved this.

I noticed that the savedsearch dhcpd_alert_new_mac_address_15m was configured to send an email every 15 minutes. By default, it sends email to example@example.org . That is a ton of email (96 incorrect emails per day?). This is viewable under "Splunk> Manager » Searches and reports » dhcpd_alert_new_mac_address_15m", and on the commandline at $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/dhcpd/default/savedsearches.conf has this:

[dhcpd_alert_new_mac_address_15m]                                                   
action.email = 1                                                                    
action.email.sendresults = 1                                                        
action.email.to = example@example.com                                               
counttype = number of events                                                        
cron_schedule = */15 * * * *                                                        
description = Alerts on mac addresses seen in the last 15 minutes that were not in the dhcpd_mac-hostname lookup table                                                   

To disable this, I simply unchecked the box next to "Schedule this search". On the commandline, the following file was added to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/dhcpd/local/savedsearches.conf, and now the emails have stopped.

disabled = 1   

View solution in original post

0 Karma

stefanlasiewski
Contributor

Here's how I solved this.

I noticed that the savedsearch dhcpd_alert_new_mac_address_15m was configured to send an email every 15 minutes. By default, it sends email to example@example.org . That is a ton of email (96 incorrect emails per day?). This is viewable under "Splunk> Manager » Searches and reports » dhcpd_alert_new_mac_address_15m", and on the commandline at $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/dhcpd/default/savedsearches.conf has this:

action.email = 1                                                                    
action.email.sendresults = 1                                                        
action.email.to = example@example.com                                               
counttype = number of events                                                        
cron_schedule = */15 * * * *                                                        
description = Alerts on mac addresses seen in the last 15 minutes that were not in the dhcpd_mac-hostname lookup table                                                   

To disable this, I simply unchecked the box next to "Schedule this search". On the commandline, the following file was added to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/dhcpd/local/savedsearches.conf, and now the emails have stopped.

disabled = 1   
0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The only way to do this right now is to edit each saved search manually. I will consider making this easier in a future version.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...