All Apps and Add-ons

Layer8 - find Citrix Xendesktop specific performance information?

samirkhan

I can not find out how to filter layer8 data to show just user experience ratings and log on times for my Citrix users.

Please help

0 Karma

bsonposh
Communicator

Sorry... I guess I am not sure what your after. UberAgent gives detailed logon times and User Experience metrics. I suspect your looking for UI latency and such?

I'm not sure of anything that provides this type of data for Splunk. Perhaps Jason will be of some help here.

0 Karma

samirkhan

Thank you I have tried uber agent but it does not do the same thing as layer8 which captures UI information directly.

I can see the layer8 data I just cant find how to refine it for Citrix users only.

0 Karma

JamesGillies
Explorer

Hi,

Yes in fact Layer8 as part of its unique dataset produces a field called SessionName, which when used in conjunction with a Citrix session that is Hosted Shared will display field values similar to:

ica-cgp#14
ica-tcp#1

The point-being is that all Hosted Shared Citrix sessions are prefixed with "ica-", making it easy to distinguish between those users and other "Console" or "RDP" sessions.

Layer8 also logs Group Membership, so if you had split out "Citrix VDI Users" vs "Citrix Hosted Shared Users" you would be able to distinguish further still between those users that were dedicated VDI or perhaps even physical desktops and those using a shared server. The ComputerName value is also logged for every notification which when combined together allows for a great understanding of how a user experienced the relevant performance delivered by Citrix across a number of different platforms.

Comparisons for users and applications can then be made against different back-end Citrix resources as required. Powerful stuff!

I hope this helps.

James

0 Karma

logfilleraccoun
Engager

James is correct. There are some things; however, we can do to make this a little easier in the Layer8 App for Splunk. I will work on some of those changes.

samirkhan, do you currently use any specific naming convention for your Citrix system names, users, etc. that would help identify them all? If you would like to make this a direct exchange between you and Logfiller, please e-mail rt@logfiller.com.

Thanks,
Ryan

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

A new version (3.0.8) of the Layer8 App for Splunk is now live. There are a number of improvements to the data filtering that allow for quicker and more flexible data filtering that help with pinpointing Citrix-specific data.

Now, almost all input fields accept wildcards, and the Session field lists options to select all RDP and ICA session types.

0 Karma

bsonposh
Communicator

That is very interesting James. I presume you work for logfiller?

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm not familiar with Layer8. Do you have example data output? If you have a username and/or server name in the data, it will be trivial to correlate that with specific Citrix users on servers/desktops.

0 Karma

bsonposh
Communicator

Jason... I think he is referring to this. https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1800/

I've not seen that before. I'll have to poke around

0 Karma

samirkhan

Sorry yes that is the one I was refrring to. I was on that app and clicked "ask a question" so I asumed everyone would know what I meant.

I have seen uber and its very good. Layer8 adds a level on top which is very interesting and they will work alongside I think.

0 Karma

bsonposh
Communicator
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...