All Apps and Add-ons

JMX_TA 2.0

jberlin
Path Finder

Install ed JMX 2.0 on Splunk 6.0

Used the JMX modular input to enter new JMX connections into the input.conf. I have also created a stimple configuration for each connection.

Example:

<!-- Connect to a JVM via the remote JMX interface -->

After the setup I can do a search with index=jmx host=xxxxxxx and can see the JMX data coming. When I use the JMX metrics I am unable to see my hosts or JVM descriptions as I have set them up.

ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Your sourcetype has to be "jmx" for the example dashboards that ship with the app to populate.
If you want to use a different sourcetype such as "jetty" , you'll have to update the sourcetype in the searches in the Simple XML views.

It's a very quick refactor , should take you no more than a couple of minutes.
Change the sourcetype in these files :

./default/data/ui/views/jvm_operatingsystem.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_memorypools.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_threading.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_compilation.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_memory.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_runtime.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_classloading.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_garbagecollection.xml

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Your sourcetype has to be "jmx" for the example dashboards that ship with the app to populate.
If you want to use a different sourcetype such as "jetty" , you'll have to update the sourcetype in the searches in the Simple XML views.

It's a very quick refactor , should take you no more than a couple of minutes.
Change the sourcetype in these files :

./default/data/ui/views/jvm_operatingsystem.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_memorypools.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_threading.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_compilation.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_memory.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_runtime.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_classloading.xml
./default/data/ui/views/jvm_garbagecollection.xml

jberlin
Path Finder

[jmx://jetty_server]
config_file = jetty_server.xml
host = server
index = jmx
polling_frequency = 60
sourcetype = jetty

0 Karma

jberlin
Path Finder

for the example provided the index=jmx and sourcetype=jetty

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

When you say you cant see your host or jvmDescription values , do you mean in the dropdown fields on the form views under the JVM Metrics Menu item ?

what is your index and sourcetype ?

0 Karma

jberlin
Path Finder

Connection event:
host=xxxxxxxx,jvmDescription="mcuws",mbean_domain="com.hazelcast",mbean_property_Cluster="xxxx",mbean_property_name="Local",mbean_property_type="Member",Port="7390",InetAddress="/xx.xxx.xx.xx",LiteMember="false"

host=xxxxxxxx,jvmDescription="mcuws",mbean_domain="com.hazelcast",mbean_property_name="xxxx",mbean_property_type="Cluster",Config="Config{groupConfig=GroupConfig [name=NVT, password=***********], liteMember=false, checkCompatibility=true, properties={hazelcast.mancenter.enabled=false, hazelcast.socket.no.delay=true, hazelcast.executor.client.thread.count

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I can't replicate this issue. Can you post an example of the raw event that is indexed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...