All Apps and Add-ons

JMX Monitoring app issue with Operation with null parameter

ramanjain1983
Path Finder

Hi there,

I am trying to call an operation getActivities of Tibco BW which has a parameter name ProcessDefinition which is of string type. When I am executing this operation from Jconsole it is executing with default values which is actually blank or null. However when I have it defined in the config like this :

<operation name="GetActivities" outputname="GetActivities">
<parameter value="" type="string"/>
</operation>

then it is not able to collect anything. I am getting the below message in index=jmx:-

********* mbean_domain="com.tibco.bw",mbean_property_key="engine",mbean_property_name="SMEC_EAI_ISM_IM-SMEC_EAI_ISM_IM",GetActivities=""

Looks like for some reason the blank is not going into the parameter value. However when I tried similar kind of mbean where the parameter value was Active , it worked like a charm.

Is that expected behaviour or am I missing something.

Thanks.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Do either of these configs work :

Passing no parameter :

<operation name="GetActivities" outputname="GetActivities" />

Entering a single blank space as the parameter value :

<parameter value=" " type="string"/>
</operation>
0 Karma

ramanjain1983
Path Finder

Thanks for answering.

I have tried this before with no luck.
If I try the first option which you said then I even do not get GetActivities field in the logs. Also it prints and error log with null.

ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /data/apps/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py" Error executing JMX stanza jmx://helloworld : null

Second option, prints the same result as I mentioned in my original post. By the way this bean is TabularType and have Composite data in it.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Can you post a screendump from JConsole showing the MBean defintion tab for the Operation (so I can see what the method signature looks like).

Is it this from page 180 : https://docs.tibco.com/pub/activematrix_businessworks/5.9.3_march_2012/pdf/tib_bw_administration.pdf

0 Karma

ramanjain1983
Path Finder

yes that is correct. Though i am using 5.12 version which is quite same for that operation.

0 Karma

AzmathShaik
Path Finder

hello,

i'm also facing same issue. did this issue got resolved, if it is can you please share how did you make it work.

Thanks

0 Karma

ramanjain1983
Path Finder

alt text

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

So it has to take a single String argument.

Therefore you have to use the format :

<parameter value="something " type="string"/>
</operation>

Regarding what the "something" value can be , I don't know what the documented valid values are for this field , so you'll have to refer to the Tibco docs.

0 Karma

ramanjain1983
Path Finder

the problem is that while executing this operation from JConsole or any other client, I just need to leave it blank or null to retrieve everything. Hence this is weird but that something is either "" or "null" but none of them is working.

I will check with Tibco guys as well if this is expected behaviour or a bug in the Mbean operation. However I am assuming that your code is designed to pass the blank parameter value and not to ignore the parameter completely if the value is blank or null. Is that the case.

0 Karma

ramanjain1983
Path Finder

If visibility of this image is not that great, you can check at : http://i60.tinypic.com/2vt5xqu.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...