All Apps and Add-ons

Issues with Splunk_TA_nix permissions when using deployment server on Windows 2012 server

selim
Path Finder

Hello,

I setup the deployment server on Windows 2012 server along with Splunk indexer and installed the Unix app. I extracted the Splunk_TA_nix app under /deployment-apps and was able to deploy the application successfully to the corresponding Linux servers. The problem I have is with the Splunk_TA_nix/bin/*.sh scripts. They do not have the execute permission.

ls -l

-rw-r--r-- 1 selim staff 3608 Nov 29 08:08 common.sh

-rw-r--r-- 1 selim staff 3566 Nov 29 08:08 cpu.sh

When I change the permissions (chmod a+x *.sh), the application works fine. However, with many Linux servers, I need a way to either integrate this within deployment or find a way to push the right permissions from Windows. I'd appreciate any recommendation.

Thanks

lukejadamec
Super Champion

What I ended up doing was writing a script that I deployed manually to my unix boxes in the etc/apps/splunkforwarder/local/bin and configured it to run once at startup. The script sets the correct permissions on the deployed apps' scripts. I also ran into issues where files would require dos2unix after deployment to a unix box, so included dos2unix in the script.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

According to this doc you use -1 for the interval.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/Data/Setupcustominputs

0 Karma

selim
Path Finder

Thanks for the tip. How do you setup a script that runs only once at startup? What would be the value for "interval" parameter for the script input?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...