All Apps and Add-ons

Is it possible to use the dbxquery command to get list of assets and a standard Splunk search to find last log entries for each?

jchapell
Explorer

I am using a dbxquery to pull my assets(hosts) and a few other details from ManageEngine's SQL database for ServiceDeskPlus and would like to then use those results to match up the latest log entry from each host. Is it possible? My dbxquery works great, but nothing has worked in regards to leveraging those results to find the latest log from each host.

My current query is:

| dbxquery query="SELECT MAX(\"resource\".\"RESOURCENAME\") AS \"Asset Name\", MAX(\"resource\".\"ASSETTAG\") AS \"Asset Tag\", MAX(\"barcodes\".\"BARCODE\") AS \"Barcode\", MAX(\"product\".\"COMPONENTNAME\") AS \"Product\", MAX(\"productType\".\"COMPONENTTYPENAME\") AS \"Product Type\", MAX(\"aao\".\"NAME\") AS \"Vendor Name\", MAX(\"state\".\"DISPLAYSTATE\") AS \"Asset State\", MAX(\"rtype\".\"TYPE\") AS \"Asset Type\", MAX(\"rCategory\".\"CATEGORY\") AS \"Asset Category\", MAX(\"resource\".\"SERIALNO\") AS \"Serial Number\", MAX(\"aaaUser\".\"FIRST_NAME\") AS \"User\", MAX(\"resFields\".\"UDF_CHAR6\") AS \"Physical or Virtual\", MAX(\"resFields\".\"UDF_CHAR7\") AS \"Alternative Name\"  FROM \"Resources\" \"resource\" LEFT JOIN \"ComponentDefinition\" \"product\" ON \"resource\".\"COMPONENTID\"=\"product\".\"COMPONENTID\" LEFT JOIN \"ComponentType\" \"productType\" ON \"product\".\"COMPONENTTYPEID\"=\"productType\".\"COMPONENTTYPEID\" LEFT JOIN \"ResourceType\" \"rtype\" ON \"productType\".\"RESOURCETYPEID\"=\"rtype\".\"RESOURCETYPEID\" LEFT JOIN \"ResourceCategory\" \"rCategory\" ON \"productType\".\"RESOURCECATEGORYID\"=\"rCategory\".\"RESOURCECATEGORYID\" LEFT JOIN \"VendorDefinition\" \"resourceVendor\" ON \"resource\".\"VENDORID\"=\"resourceVendor\".\"VENDORID\" LEFT JOIN \"SDOrganization\" \"aao\" ON \"resourceVendor\".\"VENDORID\"=\"aao\".\"ORG_ID\" LEFT JOIN \"ResourceState\" \"state\" ON \"resource\".\"RESOURCESTATEID\"=\"state\".\"RESOURCESTATEID\" LEFT JOIN \"ResourceOwner\" \"rOwner\" ON \"resource\".\"RESOURCEID\"=\"rOwner\".\"RESOURCEID\" LEFT JOIN \"ResourceAssociation\" \"rToAsset\" ON \"rOwner\".\"RESOURCEOWNERID\"=\"rToAsset\".\"RESOURCEOWNERID\" LEFT JOIN \"SDUser\" \"sdUser\" ON \"rOwner\".\"USERID\"=\"sdUser\".\"USERID\" LEFT JOIN \"AaaUser\" \"aaaUser\" ON \"sdUser\".\"USERID\"=\"aaaUser\".\"USER_ID\" LEFT JOIN \"Resource_Fields\" \"resFields\" ON \"resource\".\"RESOURCEID\"=\"resFields\".\"RESOURCEID\" LEFT JOIN \"Barcodes\" \"barcodes\" ON \"resource\".\"BARCODEID\"=\"barcodes\".\"BARCODEID\"  GROUP BY \"resource\".\"RESOURCEID\"" connection="sdp_read_sql" 
| dedup "Asset Name"
| sort "Asset State","Asset Type","Physical or Virtual","Product Type"
| table "Asset Name","Asset State","Asset Type","Physical or Virtual","Product Type"
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You need to dump the output to a lookup file with |outputlookup YourLookupHere. Then you can use this in any search like this:

Your Base Search Here | lookup YourLookupHere "Asset Name" AS host

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You need to dump the output to a lookup file with |outputlookup YourLookupHere. Then you can use this in any search like this:

Your Base Search Here | lookup YourLookupHere "Asset Name" AS host
0 Karma

jchapell
Explorer

@woodcock

that worked with a little tweaking, but worked. Now, my search when I start filtering out hosts by specific statuses, I get several systems that do not appear in my lookup. What would be the easiest way to filter those? Here is my current query:

| metadata type=hosts  
| lookup sdp_lookup1.csv "Asset Name" as host Output "Asset State" as Reason 
| eval Reason = if(isnull(Reason) OR Reason="", "Status?", Reason) 
| convert ctime(recentTime) as Latest_Time ctime(firstTime) as First_Time 
| eval gap = (now() - recentTime) / 86400 
| where gap > 1.0 
| eval Days_of_Missing_Logs = round(gap,0) 
| sort Reason, 0 - Days_of_Missing_Logs 
| where Reason != "In Use" AND Reason != "In Store"
| table host Reason Days_of_Missing_Logs Latest_Time First_Time

I'm "assuming" adding from sdp_lookup1.csvon the |eval gap = (now() - recentTime)/86400 so that it reads | eval from sdp_lookup1.csv gap = (now() - recentTime) / 86400

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

To filter out non-matches, you can do this:

... | eval Reason="NoLookupMatchSoDeleteMe"
| lookup sdp_lookup1.csv "Asset Name" as host Output "Asset State" as Reason 
| search NOT Reason="NoLookupMatchSoDeleteMe"
0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

NOT an answer to your question, just a note because I and many others find this easier: have you investigated moving your complex SQL logic into a SQL View, so that all you have to do in your Splunk is "SELECT * FROM MyViewName" ? Just makes life easy.

0 Karma

jchapell
Explorer

yes, I know there are a lot of joins in there....it's the main query I am using for several panels in a dashboard for now, until I get just what I need and make it "pretty"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...