I want to create a 3 row - 4 column dashboard. If I enter
panel_row1_col4 as a value for the layoutPanel, I get an error. Assumably, Sideview Utils only allows 3 columns per dashboard.
Is this right? Is there any reason for this, or is there any possibility to have a 4 column dashboard?
You would be able to add more that one visualization in one panel using Sideview, it's won't be same as 3 panels in one rows but will be 3+ visualization in one row. Use panelrow1col1grp1 , panelrow1col1grp2.
Thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to use 4 panels to optically split the results and add some HTML description to the panels. Is there any limit to the number of groups usable?
I know the limit on no of cols is 3, but I don't see any limits mentioned for groups. But I believe it has to be a reasonable number. Max I've used is 3 columns 3 groups. See here.
I'm using version 6.2.1 - and I have successfully built a dashboard with 9 groups now. Works for me, and with a little custom CSS it enough to be satisfied!
The limitation of three panels per row is actually a Splunk limitation not a Sideview limitation. I've looked into how to work around it but if I recall correctly it would require essentially replacing the core view controller (the core python in the webserver that serves the HTML for the pages). While this is itself possible, and in fact Sideview Utils contains a prototype view controller that bypasses almost all of the remaining "Advanced XML" code, it's far from feature-complete still and I can't guarantee that it will ever be.
@somesoni2's advice is what I have told users before - that the "group" part can get you a little more horizontal flexibility in your layout.
You can also reall break out the crowbar and 1) put everything in that row into a single panel, 2) use custom CSS to remove the rounded corners and borders on that panel, 3) use HTML modules and custom CSS in that panel to re-create the same rounded-corners and borders, not on the panel elements, but on other elements.
Needless to say this is extremely hacky and quite advanced CSS. The end result will also be a bit of a house of cards. In my opinion it may be worth exploring but not actually worth implementing.
Thanks, that was what I thought as well after exploring the code a little more.
So for the moment I did some CSS hacks and placed everything into one row, grouped as suggested by @somesoni2. Maybe I'll add some more custom CSS if the users want more optical separation, but for the moment I'm happy ^^