All Apps and Add-ons

Is it possible to have 4 columns of panels in a Sideview Utils dashboard?

DennisMohn
Path Finder

Hi all,

I want to create a 3 row - 4 column dashboard. If I enter panel_row1_col4 as a value for the layoutPanel, I get an error. Assumably, Sideview Utils only allows 3 columns per dashboard.

Is this right? Is there any reason for this, or is there any possibility to have a 4 column dashboard?

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The limitation of three panels per row is actually a Splunk limitation not a Sideview limitation. I've looked into how to work around it but if I recall correctly it would require essentially replacing the core view controller (the core python in the webserver that serves the HTML for the pages). While this is itself possible, and in fact Sideview Utils contains a prototype view controller that bypasses almost all of the remaining "Advanced XML" code, it's far from feature-complete still and I can't guarantee that it will ever be.

@somesoni2's advice is what I have told users before - that the "group" part can get you a little more horizontal flexibility in your layout.

You can also reall break out the crowbar and 1) put everything in that row into a single panel, 2) use custom CSS to remove the rounded corners and borders on that panel, 3) use HTML modules and custom CSS in that panel to re-create the same rounded-corners and borders, not on the panel elements, but on other elements.

Needless to say this is extremely hacky and quite advanced CSS. The end result will also be a bit of a house of cards. In my opinion it may be worth exploring but not actually worth implementing.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The limitation of three panels per row is actually a Splunk limitation not a Sideview limitation. I've looked into how to work around it but if I recall correctly it would require essentially replacing the core view controller (the core python in the webserver that serves the HTML for the pages). While this is itself possible, and in fact Sideview Utils contains a prototype view controller that bypasses almost all of the remaining "Advanced XML" code, it's far from feature-complete still and I can't guarantee that it will ever be.

@somesoni2's advice is what I have told users before - that the "group" part can get you a little more horizontal flexibility in your layout.

You can also reall break out the crowbar and 1) put everything in that row into a single panel, 2) use custom CSS to remove the rounded corners and borders on that panel, 3) use HTML modules and custom CSS in that panel to re-create the same rounded-corners and borders, not on the panel elements, but on other elements.

Needless to say this is extremely hacky and quite advanced CSS. The end result will also be a bit of a house of cards. In my opinion it may be worth exploring but not actually worth implementing.

DennisMohn
Path Finder

Thanks, that was what I thought as well after exploring the code a little more.

So for the moment I did some CSS hacks and placed everything into one row, grouped as suggested by @somesoni2. Maybe I'll add some more custom CSS if the users want more optical separation, but for the moment I'm happy ^^

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You would be able to add more that one visualization in one panel using Sideview, it's won't be same as 3 panels in one rows but will be 3+ visualization in one row. Use panel_row1_col1_grp1 , panel_row1_col1_grp2.

DennisMohn
Path Finder

Thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to use 4 panels to optically split the results and add some HTML description to the panels. Is there any limit to the number of groups usable?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What version of Splunk you're on? and the Sideview version??

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I know the limit on no of cols is 3, but I don't see any limits mentioned for groups. But I believe it has to be a reasonable number. Max I've used is 3 columns 3 groups. See here.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.5/AdvancedDev/AdvancedDashboard#Lay_out_your_panels

0 Karma

DennisMohn
Path Finder

I'm using version 6.2.1 - and I have successfully built a dashboard with 9 groups now. Works for me, and with a little custom CSS it enough to be satisfied!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...