All Apps and Add-ons

Is encryption method secure enough to use it for restricting access to sensitive information in the Encrypt and Decrypt data within Events app?

stewartevans
Explorer

This app looks awesome! Is it still under active development/support?
I'm interested to know if the encryption method is secure enough to use it for restricting access to sensitive information. The app description states it uses base64 encryption. Base64 encoding is easily decoded so would not be secure. Am I missing something or is the implementation insecure?

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

It uses base64 to store the output of the encryption, not as the 'encryption' algorithm itself. As you can see from the included python files, it supports DES and AES as encryption algorithms.

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

It uses base64 to store the output of the encryption, not as the 'encryption' algorithm itself. As you can see from the included python files, it supports DES and AES as encryption algorithms.

stewartevans
Explorer

Great thanks for the info Frank. You prompted me to download the app and have a look at the python. I can see now that it uses pyDes or aes to encrypt now before b64encoding. Nice

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...