All Apps and Add-ons

Include stop/pause button in views?

nlapier2
Path Finder

Hello,

I am looking for a way to have a stop/pause button for some of my views. What I mean is that a user who felt like a search in the view was taking too long could press a button which would stop/pause a search (and all the postprocess searches downstream) and leave the results thus far up. I was thinking I would put the button right next to my search button. The search button would start a fresh search as expected, while the other button would be able to stop or pause the search and leave the results that had already been retrieved up as I've specified. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

P.S. As far as my attempts thus far go, I've tinkered around with a few Sideview modules such as Gate, but to no avail. I was looking through the documentation and wondering whether the CustomBehavior module might be the only way to do something like this.

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One thing you can do is use the SearchControls module, but then configure it to not show any of its other buttons and sections, and to show only the Play/Pause button...

<module name="SearchControls">
  <param name="sections">jobControls</param>
  <param name="jobControls">pause</param>
</module>

SearchControls gets a whole docs page in Sideview Utils - under "Advanced Modules". You can learn more about how to turn on/off all its buttons there.

Navigate within the Sideview Utils app to "Module Documentation > Advanced Modules > The SearchControls module".

Granted, the play/pause button wont look very much like the green submit button, but if you're handy with CSS and cooking up images you can soon fix that.

(and by the way, the Gate module can prevent pushes, and thus indirectly prevent searches from getting dispatched, but it has no functionality to pause running jobs, which is quite different)

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One thing you can do is use the SearchControls module, but then configure it to not show any of its other buttons and sections, and to show only the Play/Pause button...

<module name="SearchControls">
  <param name="sections">jobControls</param>
  <param name="jobControls">pause</param>
</module>

SearchControls gets a whole docs page in Sideview Utils - under "Advanced Modules". You can learn more about how to turn on/off all its buttons there.

Navigate within the Sideview Utils app to "Module Documentation > Advanced Modules > The SearchControls module".

Granted, the play/pause button wont look very much like the green submit button, but if you're handy with CSS and cooking up images you can soon fix that.

(and by the way, the Gate module can prevent pushes, and thus indirectly prevent searches from getting dispatched, but it has no functionality to pause running jobs, which is quite different)

nlapier2
Path Finder

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

0 Karma

damonmanni
Path Finder

What file do I add this code to? I don't know if it should be the .xml, or .css file(s) under the app?

Also, does this require a restart or is there a way to reload?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...