All Apps and Add-ons

How to use wildcard in lookup-based searches and alerts?

the_wolverine
Champion

I have a lookup table that contains Domains and URLs:

www.google.com/index.htm
www.blacklist.org/
www.facebook.com

Is there someway to craft a search that will allow a wildcard on both ends? For example, if there is a string of "www.blacklist.org" in my data, it will not match "www.blacklist.org/" in the lookup table (and vice versa.)

1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can specify

match_type = WILDCARD(domain) WILDCARD(URL)

In the transforms.conf definition of your table. This works starting in version 4.2.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

right, you must include * in your data to indicate the location of a wildcard. You can include one or more in any place in the string, e.g., *.google.com/* is valid.

the_wolverine
Champion

The wildcard will not work without editing the lookup table to include *. For example:

www.google.com\*
www.blacklist.org\*

*Note that this is not documented.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can specify

match_type = WILDCARD(domain) WILDCARD(URL)

In the transforms.conf definition of your table. This works starting in version 4.2.

the_wolverine
Champion

Is there documentation on this method? I'm curious as to how granular the wildcarding is. In the case where my data contains domain=google.com, how is it determined how far in to match?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...