All Apps and Add-ons

How to use wildcard in lookup-based searches and alerts?

the_wolverine
Champion

I have a lookup table that contains Domains and URLs:

www.google.com/index.htm
www.blacklist.org/
www.facebook.com

Is there someway to craft a search that will allow a wildcard on both ends? For example, if there is a string of "www.blacklist.org" in my data, it will not match "www.blacklist.org/" in the lookup table (and vice versa.)

1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can specify

match_type = WILDCARD(domain) WILDCARD(URL)

In the transforms.conf definition of your table. This works starting in version 4.2.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

right, you must include * in your data to indicate the location of a wildcard. You can include one or more in any place in the string, e.g., *.google.com/* is valid.

the_wolverine
Champion

The wildcard will not work without editing the lookup table to include *. For example:

www.google.com\*
www.blacklist.org\*

*Note that this is not documented.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can specify

match_type = WILDCARD(domain) WILDCARD(URL)

In the transforms.conf definition of your table. This works starting in version 4.2.

the_wolverine
Champion

Is there documentation on this method? I'm curious as to how granular the wildcarding is. In the case where my data contains domain=google.com, how is it determined how far in to match?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...