All Apps and Add-ons

How do I use the Splunk for amMap Flash Maps app with internal IP's or non MAXMIND data

Will_Hayes
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Splunk for amMap Flash Maps app requires 5 fields in order to properly map plot your field values on the map. Those fields are:

client_country client_region client_city client_lat client_lon

These fields will most likely need to come from a look up file. Instructions on setting up a lookup can be found here

Tags (1)

MHibbin
Influencer

@Will-Hayes,

Is it possible to use AmMap to display a devices status (up/down, green/red) by location?

Regards,

MHibbin

0 Karma

Oti47
Path Finder

Hello Will, i have the same question, i like to map 30 ip address ranges to german city geo informations.

How could I setup thi internal ip-address list, to map it again to geo informations?

Do you have a example for me?

BR Michael

Will_Hayes
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Here you go:

We need to create a csv lookup for your subnet field.

In transforms.conf add:

[csv_geoip]
filename = geo_info.csv

Next we create a csv file that outputs the fields expected by the amMap app. In lookups create a geo_info.csv and use the following header:

clientip,client_country,client_region,client_city,client_lat,client_lon

(You can change the clientip value to whatever your going to match on, we just need to make that adjustment in the search)

So an example file could be:

"subnet,"client_city","client_region","client_country","client_lat","client_lon" "1.16,Arkhangelsk,06,"Russian Federation","64.5667","40.5333" "192.23",Bucharest,10,Romania,"44.4333","26.1" "128.16",Leningradskiy,15,"Russian Federation","69.3833","178.4167" "10.19",Beijing,22,China,"39.9289","116.3883",1 "123.19",Moscow,48,"Russian Federation","55.7522","37.6156"

Once you have that just make sure to use subnet in the lookup stanza.

The example search would look like this:

if you have subnet as a searchable field: | lookup csv_geoip

if you want to match subnet on another field: | lookup csv_geoip subnet as src_subnet

Once you have this the app should work as expected.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

sajbutler
Path Finder

Will

I'm a little unclear on how to link the geo data to internal subnets. Are you able to provide an example?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...