All Apps and Add-ons

How can Splunk DB Connect 2 access an AWS:RDS PostgreSQL DB?

mlinebarger
Explorer

I have been tasked with creating a Splunk dashboard based on data stored in tables in a PostgreSQL DB located on an AWS:RDS instance. I was encouraged somewhat when I discovered the add-on "Splunk DB Connect v2" and began looking at the documentation. I installed the app on our instance of Splunk and I've been trying to get it to work ever since. Regardless of how I try to set up access to the RDS DB, I continue to get an error (a '!' character on a red triangle) that is meaningless since I do not how to determine what that symbol means. My first question would be: where can I find the details of the error I am seeing? There is no verbiage on the screen explaining the symbol making it difficult to chase down the cause.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am using SplunkCloud to manage and display data from our logs. Does anyone know if this app is compatible in this environment? Does anyone have any experience with this app accessing an AWS:RDS instance (particularly PostgreSQL) that could help me get past the connection/access issue above?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

I bet that there's no java... the settings page and health page should be showing a red dot and "RPC Service not running". If you click that, you should be getting logs telling you why it can't start.

0 Karma

samaikins

same issue on my end too.
did any one manage to get a solution for this ??

0 Karma

baker987
Explorer

Same issue here for me as well. I am getting the red dot and "RPC Service: Down" message; however, when I click on that, it takes me to a New Search page (with: index=_internal dbx_error) and "No results found".

0 Karma

mlinebarger
Explorer

Actually, you are correct that I am getting the red dot and "RPC Service: Down" message; however, when I click on that, it takes me to a New Search page (with: index=_internal dbx_error) and "No results found".

0 Karma
Register for .conf21 Now! Go Vegas or Go Virtual!

How will you .conf21? You decide! Go in-person in Las Vegas, 10/18-10/21, or go online with .conf21 Virtual, 10/19-10/20.