All Apps and Add-ons

Handling multiple regex using Props.conf and Transforms.conf

nandipatisunil
Path Finder

What is the syntax I need to use to handle multiple regex when working with Props.conf and transforms.conf?

Also what is the syntax for if-else with in a Regex?

Any pointers would help.
Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Splunk uses PCRE. This is a sort of standard for regular expressions - one of many. There are dozens of resources for regular expressions, and tools to help you write them. One of my favorite reference sites is http://www.regular-expressions.info/

One beginning regular expression book that I recommend is "Sams Teach Yourself Regular Expressions" by Ben Forta. It is short, inexpensive and teaches by example.

There is no "if-then-else" per se in regular expressions. There are conditional matches, which are expressed with ?, ?= and ?<=. I am not sure that this is what you want.

Finally, I am not sure what you mean by "syntax to handle multiple regex".

What are you trying to do? With a more specific description of what you want to do, the community can probably give you a more direct answer than this one...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Splunk uses PCRE. This is a sort of standard for regular expressions - one of many. There are dozens of resources for regular expressions, and tools to help you write them. One of my favorite reference sites is http://www.regular-expressions.info/

One beginning regular expression book that I recommend is "Sams Teach Yourself Regular Expressions" by Ben Forta. It is short, inexpensive and teaches by example.

There is no "if-then-else" per se in regular expressions. There are conditional matches, which are expressed with ?, ?= and ?<=. I am not sure that this is what you want.

Finally, I am not sure what you mean by "syntax to handle multiple regex".

What are you trying to do? With a more specific description of what you want to do, the community can probably give you a more direct answer than this one...

0 Karma

nandipatisunil
Path Finder

thanks lguinn. this will help.
well, on multiple regex ... i was trying to define two regex in my transforms.conf. i figured that out though.

thanks again.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...