All Apps and Add-ons

Handler 'passwords': could not parse name

Nicholas_Key
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I kept getting this error from the storage/passwords endpoint when doing a POST with web framwork toolkit to create new creds entry into app.conf:

HTTP 400 Bad Request -- 
 In handler 'passwords': could not parse name. Use format: <username> OR <realm>:<username>

This is the sample code that I have (adapted from http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAETW#setupform)

from splunkdj.setup import forms

class UserSetupForm(forms.Form):
    name = forms.CharField(
        label="Username", endpoint="storage/passwords",
        entity="credential", field="name", max_length=100)

password = forms.CharField(
        label="Password", endpoint="storage/passwords",
        entity="credential", field="password", max_length=100)

I got this error when I used entity="*"

HTTP 404 Not Found -- 
 In handler 'passwords': Could not find object id=:*:

I got this error when I used entity="_new"

IllegalOperationException : Cannot update the name of an Entity via the REST API.

Help?

1 Solution

dfoster_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It seems that the storage/passwords endpoint doesn't work well with framework setup screens at the moment: You can only read a password from the 'clear_password' field of a "storage/passwords" entity. However writing must be done to the 'password' field. The default setup fields are not designed for this kind of asymmetry.

Easy solution (1): Store username/password in custom conf file instead of "storage/passwords". This is covered in the setup view tutorial.

Harder solution (2): Use a custom load & save function for the fields related to "storage/passwords" that work around the strangeness of the "storage/passwords" endpoint.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dfoster_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It seems that the storage/passwords endpoint doesn't work well with framework setup screens at the moment: You can only read a password from the 'clear_password' field of a "storage/passwords" entity. However writing must be done to the 'password' field. The default setup fields are not designed for this kind of asymmetry.

Easy solution (1): Store username/password in custom conf file instead of "storage/passwords". This is covered in the setup view tutorial.

Harder solution (2): Use a custom load & save function for the fields related to "storage/passwords" that work around the strangeness of the "storage/passwords" endpoint.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...