All Apps and Add-ons
Highlighted

Google Maps - geoip error

Contributor

I've installed the Google Maps app on my search head but when try to run a search:

sourcetype="stuff" remoteip=* | geoip remoteip

I get the following error:

Error in 'script': Getinfo probe failed for external search command 'geoip'

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/maps/appserver/modules/GoogleMaps/GoogleMaps.py", line 53, in generateResults
        for result in getattr(job, entity_name)[offset:end]:
      File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/search/__init__.py", line 1219, in __getitem__
        self.job.pushValidation()
      File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/search/__init__.py", line 590, in pushValidation
        raise splunk.SearchException, fatality
    SearchException: Error in 'script': Getinfo probe failed for external search command 'geoip'

I installed the MAXMIND app as well but the result is the same.
I've restarted splunk but that has not resolved the issue either.

Thanks,

Highlighted

Re: Google Maps - geoip error

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hey Kate,

I ran into the same problem recently. Do you have the Google Maps app installed on your indexer as well as the search head?

Dave

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Hi Dave,
Yes I'm actually testing it out on a standalone search head+indexer (my cloud sandbox) and am receiving the same error.
What version of Splunk are you running? I'm on 4.1.6 and wondering if there is some incompatibility?

Thanks,

Kate

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hey Kate,

I was working with 4.2.3 with a distributed deployment. You may want to try an older version. I believe the current version was released to address compatibility issues with 4.2.

Dave

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Thanks Dave but i did have some luck with the lookup geoip command instead. It's producing results now, but I will keep that in mind my production system is distributed but 4.1.6 across the board.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

I've just installed the Google Maps app on my search and seen the bundles distributed to my indexers. Unfortunately I get: "Streamed search execute failed because: Error in 'script': Getinfo probe failed for external search command 'geoip'"

however if I manually install the app on the indexers (and restart) it does work. Would be much nicer if it just worked so I don't have to manually update N indexers. Any ideas how to debug or fix this?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Hi,
Have you checked if the app is enabled at the indexer and is listed in the etc/apps directory after it replicates the bundle over from the search head?

You can check that status of installed apps with ./splunk display app. If it is disabled you can enable it by ./splunk enable app

If you are running deployment server you could also just roll it out that way.

@Kate

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

Try:

sourcetype="stuff" remoteip=* | stats count by remoteip | geoip remote_ip

Highlighted

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There were a bug in the app for distributed searches, fixed in 1.1.3
see http://apps.splunk.com/app/368/

Or install the app on all the search-peers.