All Apps and Add-ons

Forecasting vs predicting (regression)

rosho
Communicator

Hi

I am confused about Forecasting (ex: with Kalman filter) and Predicting (ex: with SGDRegressor or Logistic Regression).

I have a dataset with the number of logins by hour during 1 month (MAY). My variables are: _time and logins
I used SGDRegressor and saved the model (month of may). Then I applied the saved model with data of JUNE (this is unseen data).
Results are very good (I do not know if I am overfitting). But as I said. I am confused about Forecasting with Kalman and Predicting (univariate) with SGDRegressor.

Any help, please?

FORECASTING WITH KALMAN
Here, I am using 36 hours as test and I am forecasting 36 hours

| inputlookup fortigate_QC_May2019_logins.csv
| fit StandardScaler "logins" with_mean=false with_std=true
| fit DBSCAN "SS_logins"
| where NOT cluster==-1
| predict "SS_logins" as prediction algorithm=LLP5 holdback=36 future_timespan=72 upper95=upper95 lower95=lower95 
| `forecastviz(72, 36, "SS_logins", 95)`

PREDICTING WITH SGDREGRESSOR
Here, I am calling a saved model (using MAY) and applying it with JUNE.
| inputlookup fortigate_QC_June2019_logins.csv
| fit StandardScaler "logins" with_mean=false with_std=true
| apply "authentication_profiling_SGDRegressor"
| table _time, "SS_logins", "predicted(SS_logins)"
0 Karma

harshpatel
Contributor

Hi @rosho,

Maybe this explanation here might help:

Forecasting would be a subset of prediction. Any time you predict into the future it is a forecast. All forecasts are predictions, but not all predictions are forecasts, as when you would use regression to explain the relationship between two variables.

https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/65287/difference-between-forecast-and-prediction

Hope this clears your confusion,
Harsh

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...