All Apps and Add-ons

File/Directory Information Input: When importing a .zip archive, why are there no timestamps or readable text?

BMacher
Path Finder

Hello fellow Splunkies,

I get data into Splunk by monitoring a directory for changes. If I insert an archive (.zip) of about 10 MB the data, it is not imported correctly --> no time stamps + unreadable text. I think the problem might be that Splunk starts the import immediately by unzipping the archive. Since it is not fully copied it fails and Splunk handles the file like binary code.

Does anyone know a solution?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Here is the best way. Modify the inputs.conf to add a blicklist for *.zippart
Then have the software that copies the files over, first rename the source file from *.zip to *.zippart, then copy it, then name it back.
If this cannot be done, then you can do something like this:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/309910/how-to-monitor-a-folder-for-newest-files-only-file.html

View solution in original post

BMacher
Path Finder

I found a better solution myself. Add *.filepart$ to the inputs blacklist. If you transfer files per WinSCP make sure you use SFTP.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Here is the best way. Modify the inputs.conf to add a blicklist for *.zippart
Then have the software that copies the files over, first rename the source file from *.zip to *.zippart, then copy it, then name it back.
If this cannot be done, then you can do something like this:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/309910/how-to-monitor-a-folder-for-newest-files-only-file.html

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...