All Apps and Add-ons

File/Directory Information Input - Help capturing file/directory permissions

K_J
Loves-to-Learn

Hi everyone, first post here. Hopefully I'm in the right location. 

Recently installed the File/Directory Information Input add-on to try capturing file creation/modified timestamps and permissions. Attempting local inputs from a Splunk Enterprise server and UF (both Windows), but each it will not capture the file owner or ace permissions. Not seeing any errors in file_meta_data_modular_input.log. Python 2.7 installed on each instance. This is all I get:

is_directory=1 file_count=3 directory_count=0 path=C:\test atime="Tue Oct  6 16:31:22 2020" atime_epoch=1602016282.55 ctime="Tue Oct  6 16:31:18 2020" ctime_epoch=1602016278.12 dev=0 gid=0 ino=0 mode=16895 mtime="Tue Oct  6 16:31:22 2020" mtime_epoch=1602016282.55 nlink=0 size=4096 uid=0 time="Wed Oct 07 07:23:26 2020"

inputs.conf

[file_meta_data://default]
file_path = C:\test
interval = 15m
recurse = 1
only_if_changed = 0
include_file_hash = 0
file_hash_limit = 500MB
sourcetype = net:shares
index = test

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?  @LukeMurphey 

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

May I assume this is on Linux?

0 Karma

K_J
Loves-to-Learn

This is on Windows. 

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Ah ok. Let me test this again on Windows. Permission data is kinda complicated on Windows. The app has separate sub-routines to get the permission info because Windows often doesn't return this data if the script doesn't have the necessary permissions to get them (especially if it is on a CIFS/SMB share where things get even weirder).

Do you happen to know if it returns the permission data on files?

0 Karma

K_J
Loves-to-Learn

Not sure whether it can grab the permissions. How could I test that? I tried running the script manually to see if it would print to screen, but get nothing... no errors either...

0 Karma

K_J
Loves-to-Learn

more info about my environment

Splunk Version 7.3.3

File/Directory Information Input version 1.4.5 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...