All Apps and Add-ons

Duration calculation going wrong

wimvdheijkant

Dear all,

I'm trying to calculate duration. But what I get returned is off by 2 hours...? I'm using the following:
Search | convert timeformat="%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S" mktime(ADCreatedTime) |
convert timeformat="%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S" mktime(FIMCreatedTime) |
where ADCreatedTime > FIMCreatedTime |
Eval Duration = ADCreatedTime - FIMCreatedTime |

convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S" ctime(Duration) as D |
convert timeformat="%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S" ctime(ADCreatedTime) as ADC |
convert timeformat="%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S" ctime(FIMCreatedTime) as FDC |
Table user, FDC, ADC, D

The results are: user FDC ADC D
abiggelaar 25-03-2011 11:02:34 25-03-2011 12:05:49 03:03:15
ahayward 16-02-2011 12:54:59 16-02-2011 13:57:49 03:02:50
beheer.danaher 04-03-2011 09:49:39 04-03-2011 10:53:39 03:04:00

I can't find any time zone stuff going wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks! Wim

0 Karma
1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The convert that you are doing on Duration converts the duration into a time based on the epoch. So its saying that Duration is 3 hours 3 minutes 15 seconds from the epoch (for abiggelaar). You want to use an eval tostring evaluation. Replace convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S" ctime(Duration) as D with eval D=tostring(Duration,"duration") and it should give you what you want.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

View solution in original post

wimvdheijkant

Problem solved, thanks!

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The convert that you are doing on Duration converts the duration into a time based on the epoch. So its saying that Duration is 3 hours 3 minutes 15 seconds from the epoch (for abiggelaar). You want to use an eval tostring evaluation. Replace convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S" ctime(Duration) as D with eval D=tostring(Duration,"duration") and it should give you what you want.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...